Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

esp bas light 2008 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esp bas light 2008 caravan

i have a2008 caravan. Saturday the esp bas light came on while i was driving and would not go off. when i shut the van off and restarted it the lights were off until i moved the vehicle.
this same cenario kept repeating itself Saturday afternoon and evening . The light would be off after shutting off the vehicle and restarting it. Somtimes it would come back on within moving it a few feet ,other times you may have had to go about a 1/2 mile but the light would keep coming on and staying on while driving. ( no snow or ice)
On Sunday the light did not come on at all.
any ideas what would cause this?
I am going on 600 mile trip in a few weeks and i am a little worried.
What will happen to the vehicle if the light comes on during the trip and i have to keep driving it?

anyone familiar with this situation?

Is it criticle to take in to the dealer even though the light is not on anymore?
in the past i have warning lights come on in other vehicles and the dealers told me they could not do anything unless the lights remain on all the time?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Get it to the dealer so they can find out whats going on with it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
jimgansett
Default esp bas

This happens on my 2008 Grand CAravan, but, it has only happened in extremely cold temperatures! I shut the car off, restart it and the lights go out.

I think I read about this happening somewhere in the manual and they said to shut it off and when you restart and continue to drive the lights go out. And so it has on mine. Again, this has only happened twice and each time in very cold temperatures.

Operation of the car does not appear to be affected and I don't really worry about it. It would be nice to know why it happens though!!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
shesuredoshine

We got the same issue and having a neighbor mechanic put it on the handheld this week. I let you know but this is what I have found so far. But it's taking 2-3 trips to a dealership I am trying to avoid.....

Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 05 - Brakes,ABS System,ESP - Electronic Stability Program,BAS / ESP Light,Steering Wheel;Right,Left;Turn / Turning;Recent Repairs,Module Replaced;Yes - Intermittent Recommendation Check at the rear harness near the axle for a right and left side speed sensor at the take out. Check to see if the wiring harness connectors for these sensors are crossed. There was a concern that some of the harnesses were assembled incorrectly. One side has a round retaining clip and the other has a square retaining clip. If the connectors are crossed, then you need to switch them to the proper side. This should correct your issue
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/1m6b...mperature.html

ok ive researched that code and my answer has changed based on that code, what will need done is a trip to the dealer to have the new clockspring also know as the steering angle sensor initialized, this requires a dealer scan tool and to start and then the van has to be driven based on the step by step instructions on the scan tool.

quickcar : the charge should be no more then 1 hours labor and should only take approx 15min to 30 mins to complete

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3uc7...ruise-not.html

Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
shesuredoshine

Originally Posted by shesuredoshine
We got the same issue and having a neighbor mechanic put it on the handheld this week. I let you know but this is what I have found so far. But it's taking 2-3 trips to a dealership I am trying to avoid.....

Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 05 - Brakes,ABS System,ESP - Electronic Stability Program,BAS / ESP Light,Steering Wheel;Right,Left;Turn / Turning;Recent Repairs,Module Replaced;Yes - Intermittent Recommendation Check at the rear harness near the axle for a right and left side speed sensor at the take out. Check to see if the wiring harness connectors for these sensors are crossed. There was a concern that some of the harnesses were assembled incorrectly. One side has a round retaining clip and the other has a square retaining clip. If the connectors are crossed, then you need to switch them to the proper side. This should correct your issue
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/1m6b...mperature.html

ok ive researched that code and my answer has changed based on that code, what will need done is a trip to the dealer to have the new clockspring also know as the steering angle sensor initialized, this requires a dealer scan tool and to start and then the van has to be driven based on the step by step instructions on the scan tool.

quickcar : the charge should be no more then 1 hours labor and should only take approx 15min to 30 mins to complete

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3uc7...ruise-not.html

Another Response I found:
Hi, these systems are all linked together. Most commonly, one of the wheel speed sensors is not reading or is reading incorrectly. This can also occur on slippery surfaces where one or more wheel slides enough to cause the sensor to drop the signal, but not enough to meet criteria for an abs or esp episode. If the light comes back every time you turn on the ignition, there is a deeper problem.
The system has detected a fault in the electronic stability program - brakeassist system. You have an electrical connection at the rear wheels secured to the inside of the brake area and are viewable from under the vehicle. It is a small wire harness running to each wheel. Grab the connector and wiggle it around, and make sure they are tight. Due to the connector being mounted low to the ground, sometimes they become dirty or corroded, not making contact. Do this on both sides and see if the lights turn off.

If the light does not turn off, you have to replace dynamics sensor, which is mounted UNDERNEATH the center console in the car. There is a "lost communication to dynamics sensor" and "low voltage to dynamics sensor supply

Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
shesuredoshine
Default ClockSpring

ClockSpring it was. Luckily we have the Preimer coverage after the Ext Warr expired.

Now, if they could fix the finicky rear sliding door that seems to not want to close.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ClockSpring it was. Luckily we have the Preimer coverage after the Ext Warr expired.

Now, if they could fix the finicky rear sliding door that seems to not want to close.
the power sliding door?
there are Software updates for the all Door modules for being over sensitive to obstruction. Once again, dealer scan tool only, lol

Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 PM
oldrammer
Default Clockspring issue

Did they replace the clockspring or reset the steering angle sensor?Just wondering because I just bought a 2008 Grand Caravan and both the traction light and the bas light are on and my code reader has given me a C2205 error code reading (steering angle sensor ,Internal).I have read that the clock spring and steering angle sensor are one in the same.Is this correct?I have also read that with the steering angle sensor error,it must be brought to the dealer to be initilized.Can someone please give me some feedback on this issue?Thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldrammer
...I have read that the clock spring and steering angle sensor are one in the same. Is this correct?
Yes, the steering angle sensor is contained within the clockspring.

Originally Posted by oldrammer
...I have also read that with the steering angle sensor error, it must be brought to the dealer to be initilized...
I have read on other forums of people replacing their own clockspring/steering angle sensor without the need to have it initialized.

However there is the steering angle sensor calibration:

ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:

1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.

I will also say that I have had the battery disconnect multiple times on my '09 Caravan, and I have never had to perform the calibration procedure.

Quick Reply: esp bas light 2008 caravan