Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
karlfrick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I was able to get it using another PC, thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how to remove the little wire for the instrument cluster that moves the needle for the PRNDL, but how the shaft that goes to the transmission comes out? It slides out or a bolt to undo? Im going with CaravanHomer instructions to not remove the whole steering column.

Im planning on doing this when the weather gets cooler. Finally know it's my evap leaking.

Also is it necessary to drain all the coolant or I can put a plug on the heater hoses? Just changed the coolant not long ago.

Last edited by Mikeb-rick; 06-16-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What shaft to the transmission? Part that goes to the transmission is a cable. Pops off the column and then clips to a bracket.

Don't have to drain the coolant, just plug the lines.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
What shaft to the transmission? Part that goes to the transmission is a cable. Pops off the column and then clips to a bracket.

Don't have to drain the coolant, just plug the lines.
I see that now. Thanks

Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 AM
hoosierrun
Amateur
Default 96 G Voyager - Evaporator replaced

I'm new here but just wanted to say thanks for the complete set of instructions for changing the evaporator on a 96-00 Chrysler mini-van.
I tackled the job last weekend and for the most part it went smooth. My old evaporator housing was full of oil. I used an aftermarket TYC evaporator that I got from E-Bay for about $55 along with a new expansion valve and drier. The cost of all my parts including PAG 46 oil and R134a gas totalled around $100 to $110. The labor was 2 solid days of almost dawn to dusk work, but I wrote everything down that I disconnected from the dash and put screws and bolts in zip lock bags labeled by areas of the dash that they came from. I feel that I could knock about 2-3 hours off the project if I had to do it again. I used a cheap Harbor Freight vacuum pump and gauge/manifold set.

For those who are wondering why I would do such a job in January, it is because I live in Florida and we use AC almost every month of the year and I would not even consider doing this job in my driveway in the heat. My working weather last weekend was perfect.

I only got a couple of pictures of the dash removed and strapped to the seats.

Name:  000_0085_zpsa5055a5b.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  000_0086_zps7afcfe26.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  79.1 KB

Last edited by hoosierrun; 01-15-2015 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FabricGATOR (07-08-2023)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 PM
rankamateur
Question AC Evaporator on 1996 Voyager

Hi, I struggling with removing trying to remove and replace the evaporator on my 1996 Plymouth Voyager. This I believe is very similar to the Dodge Caravan. Further up in this forum Scott (based in Florida) wrote high praises for instructions he received from members 'mr mahoney' and 'CaravanHomer' on how to do this job. How can I get a copy of the of the instructions Scott refers to.
Thanks in advance for your help.
JohnM

Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie

96 Voyager is the same. You were asking about these instructions?
http://www.scsc.k12.in.us/mahoney/vanfix/

I also have this PDF. I don't remember where I downloaded it from. It goes in good detail on how to remove the dash, but not the A/C unit.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Last edited by Mikeb-rick; 04-16-2015 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FabricGATOR (07-08-2023)
Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 PM
rankamateur
Default 1996 Plymouth Voyager AC Evaporator Replace

Thank you, thank you, thank you MikeB-rick for sending me the links for this and thank you whoever went to the trouble of putting this together. This is just like mine - even down to the color scheme. The forums like this are the only place where you can get pictures and text with this level of detail and with my repair experience I need all the help I can get. This is a major undertaking for me and I'll be busy this weekend. Thanks again to all contributors on this.
JohnM

Old 05-14-2018, 10:26 AM
polychromeuganda
Default Instructions still available through archive.org

Originally Posted by Mikeb-rick
96 Voyager is the same. You were asking about these instructions?
http://www.scsc.k12.in.us/mahoney/vanfix/

I also have this PDF. I don't remember where I downloaded it from. It goes in good detail on how to remove the dash, but not the A/C unit.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=d155347038f8760a!123&authkey=!AHm6TIXz qVqjsYY&ithint=file%2cpdf
The site for the instructions is missing. It can be found on the wayback machine. The capture at;

https://web.archive.org/web/20150906065352/http://www.scsc.k12.in.us/mahoney/vanfix/

works well, many of the captures display a placeholder instead of one or more images. The PDF on onedrive is still available at this time.

Last edited by polychromeuganda; 05-14-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: wrong wayback machine link
Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Themusj

Thank you for posting updated links. I was greatly relieved to see them. I believe the first set is from MrMahoney's work and the pdf is from CaravanHomer's work. This project is on my radar in a week or so. 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan evaporator. Only 94,500 miles! Looks only a few years old.

Quick Reply: AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures