Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

timing cover coolant leak - how hard to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
David Stembridge
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Chain Tensioner?

One more thing....
my friend suggested changing the tensioner for the timing chain while the cover was off.... this appears to be a dealer part; and I don't see where/how in the manual.

Any advise on the tensioner?

It's a 2000 Dodge Grand Cavaran with a 3.3 liter engine.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM
jumpdrive2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be mistaken but I do not believe there is a timing chain tensioner could you be referring to the crankshaft sprocket??

Last edited by jumpdrive2; 12-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
David Stembridge
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps. The local auto store showed a tensioner though... just a dealer part. Will the sprocket act the saw way as a tensioner?

Originally Posted by jumpdrive2
I could be mistaken but I do not believe there is a timing chain tensioner could you be referring to the crankshaft sprocket??

Old 12-28-2010, 02:17 PM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

Originally Posted by David Stembridge
Perhaps. The local auto store showed a tensioner though... just a dealer part. Will the sprocket act the saw way as a tensioner?
No I just don't know what your local auto store was looking at there is no tensioner as far as I know.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There is no timing chain tensioner on the 3.3L engine, But there is one the 3.0L engine or 4.0L.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Ironguts

No tensioner but there is a damper, on the inside of the chain between the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM
usmarine0905

@ Hemi4spd.... if you have pics YES, please.. My brother and I are going to tackle his 97 caravan with the 3.3. He was told it is a head gasket, without doing a pressure test. we can pour antifreeze into the radiator, and watch it run out the below. So I told him that I dont believe a head gasket would leak that fast, it must be a hose or o'ring or gasket. the oil and water are both clean and no mixing. I am hearing more and more of the this pipe that runs below the intake? and has o'rings and are know to leak. We are going to pressure test this weekend, if we can keep the fluid in it to pressure test, and we got our inspection mirrors ready... any pic's to help with the location of the pipe,tubes, etc would be helpful. And I am guessing the intake must come off for replacement of the pipe..etc. email...Usmarine0905@aol.com

Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Ironguts

I replaced that pipe on my 03 Caravan 3.3L a few months back. Really easy if it's the same configuration as your 97 caravan. Just two bolts and a clamp, one where it anchors to the water pump the other on the timing chain cover and a clamp where it's connected to the lower radiator hose. There's an o-ring on the end of the pipe where it mounts into the water pump. That's where mine was leaking. I replaced the pipe as well since it was completely rusted out and ready to break open. Don't forget to drain the radiator first. FYI, if you're replacing the pipe, it's hard to find. I had to buy mine from the Dealership. Cost was around $54 CAD.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
as400jockey
Default Torque some bolts first

I ended up with a coolant leak on my '97 Grand Caravan 3.3 . That and many other leaks

The last one was that pesky coolant leak. I thought it was a heater hose, but turned out to be the timing cover. Some time ago I replaced the idler pulley and mistakenly loosened some of the bolts fastening the a/c compressor bracket (that bracket also holds the idler pulley). I now know that the bracket goes thru the timing cover, which has coolant flowing through it.

Before tearing into and replacing the gaskets, I simply torqued the bracket bolts. So far, so good. No more drip.

To do this, I removed the serp belt so that I could get at those bolt heads more easily. Took all of about 20 minutes.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
as400jockey
Default well... it wasn't leaking... YESTERDAY

I spoke too soon. While those bolts did need a little tightening, and while the leak looked like it had stopped, it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. I was afraid that it was too good to be true.

Looks like I'll have to replace the timing cover gasket set, which looks to be kind of a hassle... That might also explain the black oil/grease like residue in the coolant overflow tank. Not too much given 14 years and 250k miles, but it would explain it...

Originally Posted by as400jockey
I ended up with a coolant leak on my '97 Grand Caravan 3.3 . That and many other leaks

The last one was that pesky coolant leak. I thought it was a heater hose, but turned out to be the timing cover. Some time ago I replaced the idler pulley and mistakenly loosened some of the bolts fastening the a/c compressor bracket (that bracket also holds the idler pulley). I now know that the bracket goes thru the timing cover, which has coolant flowing through it.

Before tearing into and replacing the gaskets, I simply torqued the bracket bolts. So far, so good. No more drip.

To do this, I removed the serp belt so that I could get at those bolt heads more easily. Took all of about 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: timing cover coolant leak - how hard to fix?