Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 GC SXT---Squeaky Belt Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM
unklbob76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 GC SXT---Squeaky Belt Issue

Hello,

Only with the air conditioning running and only when I go into reverse, there is a belt squeaking intermittently. Shop looked at belt auto-tensioner but adjustments made no change. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:03 AM
MartymanVR6
Rookie

No adjustment possible on an auto tensioner.....is the belt cracked or glazed?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Squeak

Martyman is correct, no adjustment on the serpentine belt tensioner. If belt is not cracked or glazed, try this: withe engine OFF, see if you can move the tensioner arm with your hand, if you can, the tensioner is bad and will need to be replaced (common item on our cars).

Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only with the A/C on makes sense--that's when maximum stress is on the belt. Only in reverse is a little puzzling--that's when the engine shifts position in the cradle. But all the spinning parts are attached to the engine. Sure sounds like a bad tensioner. But, it's easy to diagnose if your mechanic has a set of Chassis Ears.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 AM
unklbob76

Thank you everyone for the info. I will check tomorrow to see if it is the tensioner arm and let you know.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
dirtmover
Amateur

With the squeaking is happening spray a VERY small amount of water on the belt - a tip from my father who used to work for Gates. If the squeak is caused by slippage then the water should stop it temporarily. If the belt is in good condition suspect the tensioner. As well as trying to move it by hand use a wrench to release the tension. The spring can loose its springiness with time and fail to reapply tension properly. I just changed mine a couple of days ago for this.

Quick Reply: 2004 GC SXT---Squeaky Belt Issue