Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 6spd Transmission Failed, need advice

Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 6spd Transmission Failed, need advice

I own a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L with 100K mi and the 6spd 62TE. I'm fairly sure the compounder went out, since I have no propulsion in D or R and I'm getting 3rd and 5th gear ratio error codes. The vehicle acts like it's in neutral, no propulsion in R or D positions...engine just rev's.

I'm assuming the transmission needs rebuilt or replaced, so I'm looking at the scope of this job and what options I have. I had AAA tow it to my house where it awaits repair.

Questions:

Is it fair to assume this tranny needs pulled to repair since the compounder likely threw parts and filled the tranny with metal??

What does Chrysler/Dodge Dealer want to replace a 62te tranny? I see their parts catalog lists the tranny for $5K list. I'm guessing R&R labor will be $1K or so which puts the job at $6K. That's close to book value of the vehicle.

I'm guessing the lower frame needs dropped to pull the tranny. Is this true? I don't think I want to tackle that job with other stuff I have going on.

What would be a typical labor cost at an independent shop to remove and install this tranny? I'm guessing $800-$1200.

I found rebuilt 62TE transmissions with 5 yr 100k mi warranty selling on-line for $2,250 which includes the two-way freight for core exchange. They even have a labor reimbursement warranty for 12 mo. This would seem to put the total job a bit over $3K which doesn't seem too terrible.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

First question, do you have the lifetime powertrain warranty or stops at 100k? From what you are writing, I'm guessing you may have lost line pressure. Did you have a P0944 code loss of prime code.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Kevioll
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used ones run $800 to $1200. Just another option to consider. Figure 1500-2000 to install with labor, should come with some kind of warranty, 3-6 months usually. These aren't known as problematic trannys. try car-part.com to search used parts.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
First question, do you have the lifetime powertrain warranty or stops at 100k? From what you are writing, I'm guessing you may have lost line pressure. Did you have a P0944 code loss of prime code.

Thanks for info! I'm not the original owner and didn't buy thru dodge dealer, so no warranty and no sense in begging for goodwill.

I will double-check codes, but a full throttle downshift at 70 mph lead to this symptom. Upon disconnecting battery to reset codes, I had partial drive motion with slip for about 1/4 mile before it completely free-rev'd with zero engagement. Line pressure is likely lost, but I suspect it's due to a bunch of metal particulate clogging it. There is and was no external leakage and level is good.

I found rebuilds with 5yr 100k mi warranty for $1900 delivered plus $800 labor at my local shop. A total cost of $2700 sounds attractive if it's indeed blown.

Based upon what I read, the 3rd and 5th gear ratio error codes = blown compounder.

I will drop pan to be sure.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
vipergg
Rookie

Hopefully this is not indicative of the reliability of this tranny not getting much over 100k before dieing . Never have had an issue with either the older 3 speed auto or even the 4 speed.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It sounds like a good price. But you still didn't let me know if you had a loss of prime code. Because if you did, it maybe just a valve body problem.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
It sounds like a good price. But you still didn't let me know if you had a loss of prime code. Because if you did, it maybe just a valve body problem.

Thanks for the help and insight on the possibility of a solenoid valve body issue. Looks like they cost about $180.

Rest assured, I will be inspecting the pan and re-verifying the codes before ordering a rebuilt tranny and delivery to a shop. If the pan is full of metal we will both know what's up without code history.

When this happened on a 6 lane limited access freeway with narrow shoulder, I disconnected the battery at 4AM trying frantically to reset codes and limp home. The service engine light successfully reset. I got about 1/4 mile or something in a lower gear before it began free-wheeling again so the issue is chronic. Any codes that set during the failure have likely been reset. The service engine light is OFF right now.

Please understand I can't stop the presses to investigate tranny condition because the van is outside and it's been raining nonstop here every evening since the day it failed. I'm focusing on investigations I can do from my armchair.

I'm betting that a loss of prime code will not guarantee that the valve body has a mechanical or electrical solenoid failure. A pan, tranny cooler and valve body packed full of metal shavings from a compounder explosion can surely cause clogging to the point that a loss of prime code will set.

If I drop the pan and find no metal shavings or parts in it, I fully concur that thru your recommendation and the process of elimination, a loss of prime code could indicate a bad valve body. At that juncture I would surely try replacing it, and if it works, owe you big time.

Moral of the story, the weather must clear and the pan must be pulled to see if the compounder exploded.

Last edited by Lscman; 06-18-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Lscman
Veteran

took pan off, it's failed...lots of metal.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM
xr500

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for follow-up so we know what happened.

Are you going rebuilt with independant shop installing it?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by xr500
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for follow-up so we know what happened.

Are you going rebuilt with independant shop installing it?
I'm buying a reman with 5yr/100K mi warranty from Transmissions Express in Portland, Oregon for $1450 plus $450 for two-way shipping to & from Pennsylvania (includes core return). See their website. Basically the parts will be $1900 and local R&R labor will be around $750. That puts the total job around $2650. The tranny also comes with a labor warranty reimbursement for any failed transmission within 12 mo. If it pans out, it'll be a good deal.

This total out-the-door price is a bit more than some budget-oriented indy shops might charge for their in-shop rebuild, but they will NEVER match the warranty. It's kinda potluck whether the rebuild will actually last because there are few local experts for these 62TE trannys. I want reliability and I hate rework. I'd probably take the lowball approach if I was trading in the vehicle.

Being that dealers want $5K and up for reman, it looks like a deal!

Last edited by Lscman; 06-26-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 6spd Transmission Failed, need advice