Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Caravan. No Horn, Airbag Light but cruise works

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 AM
sunpack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Caravan. No Horn, Airbag Light but cruise works

Ok so this is driving me nuts. I dont have a scanner to scan the SRS codes but the symptoms pointed to possibly the clock spring. The cruise control works but the horn does not and the airbag light is on. I changed the clock spring with a new one from Dodge but I still have the problem. I am going to start tracing for power on the horn wire but since the horn, airbag and cruise contral go through the clock spring I am thinking it is unusual that a bad wire for the horn would throw out the airbag. Thinking something else here. Does anyone have the wire diagram for a 2002 Dodge Caravan. Also has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Its helps to have a scanner, because everyone will be just guessing. You could have an open circuit (fuse) or wire. Start by checking the fuses and get a scanner. Air bag fuses are in the yellow holders, you may have two of them. and ck the fuse for the horn too. To ck the fuses you will need a 12 volt test lite or a DVOM. This is a must, just looking at fuses won't show you if the fuses are good. Also when did the problem start or what mods were made?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 AM
sunpack
Default Corrosion in fuse box - Dodge Caravan

Thanks Master Tech. So i figured out the problem and I think I would advise anyone with a Dodge Caravan to do the same. I started tracing for horn power and realized that there was no power from the fuse box, however the fuse was good. I then noticed a bit of corrosion on the leads that go into the fuse box (on the underside). So I removed the fuse box and started to clean the leads. I then noticed that the pins on the fuse box itself was corroded so I removed the top have of the fuse box to reveal the pins. A few of the pins (including the horn) was corroded to the point that a few of the pins had broken off. This is why the horn did not work and also there where a few other components that where acting strange. I found a fuse box at a junk yard for $100 (dealer $800). However before I replaced the fuse box, I opened the new one (junk yard) cleaned the corrosion that was already starting, sprayed a light coat of rush inhibitor on the pins and closed the box. Van runs fine. Talking to a few mechanics, this fuse box corrosion is a common problem on the caravan. So now, once a year I plan to remove the fuse box, check and clean corrosion and reapply the rush inhibitor.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:30 PM
JoelPB
Default Airbag light

You can check continuity through the airbag clockspring fairly easily. Remove airbag (plug under airbag) and test from connectors going into clockspring to those coming out that airbag wires plugged into. I was told my clockspring was absolutely the problem, but then I checked and the advice was just the usual BS.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Caravan. No Horn, Airbag Light but cruise works