Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Caravan 3.3 V6 Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM
bim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by restless_entity
I have a weird noise from the engine of my Caravan. It's a 3.3 V6 with only 70'000 km's.

At idle you can hear a distinct erratic light rattle/cracking sound. I have taken it to my local Dodge dealer & they road tested it and without any delay they told me that the noise is the normal operation of the lifters, apparently they have heard a few cases of this ??

The noise is loudest if you listen by the right front wheel. I have removed the Auxiliary belt to see if it was a noisy water pump....etc but the noise was still there. It's weird that my 2001 3.3 Caravan did not make a sound & I have not heard it from other Caravans ??

Are Dodge trying to palm me off or has anybody heard of this type of complaint ?

Thanks
Caravans have a clutch in the alt pulley. mine was making a noise like that. took the alt off and had the pulley replaced, noise gone

Bim

Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM
scotter5
Veteran

But wouldn't removing the belt so he could test to see if sound continued eliminate the pulley from revolving on the alt. thus eliminate the pulley from being the problem?

I had similar sound if not exact one. mechanic told me its the valve cover that is resonating sound. I didn't buy that, i thought it was the pulley on alt. also. i replaced it and sound was gone.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 AM
scotter5
Veteran

I recorded the sound of my engine making sound prior to changing pulley on alt.
Maybe the sound is similar to yours.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM
keywack3
Default squeeking noise

My 2005 Grand Caravan makes a squeeking noise common for the drive belt or alternator. I changed the belt and tension-er arm, it still makes the noise. I think I have tracked it down to the vibration pulley, is this a common thing?

Old 11-18-2014, 03:41 PM
FixItCheap
Default engine noise

I have had to replace the idler/tensioner pulley on all 3 I have owned. Never caused a problem except that awful noise. Easy repair though.
Originally Posted by rest)less_entity
I have a weird noise from the engine of my Caravan. It's a 3.3 V6 with only 70'000 km's.

At idle you can hear a distinct erratic light rattle/cracking sound. I have taken it to my local Dodge dealer & they road tested it and without any delay they told me that the noise is the normal operation of the lifters, apparently they have heard a few cases of this ??

The noise is loudest if you listen by the right front wheel. I have removed the Auxiliary belt to see if it was a noisy water pump....etc but the noise was still there. It's weird that my 2001 3.3 Caravan did not make a sound & I have not heard it from other Caravans ??

Are Dodge trying to palm me off or has anybody heard of this type of complaint ?

Thanks

Old 11-18-2014, 03:45 PM
FixItCheap
Default easy fix

Originally Posted by keywack3
My 2005 Grand Caravan makes a squeeking noise common for the drive belt or alternator. I changed the belt and tension-er arm, it still makes the noise. I think I have tracked it down to the vibration pulley, is this a common thing?
I have had to replace the idler/tensioner pullpulley on all three i have owned. Never caused a problem except that awful noise. If the bearing locks up it will burn the belt.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:49 PM
FixItCheap
Default BeCarefulwiththat one

I had one do that. Just a noisy lifter...i thought...till it stopped oiling one cylinder and destroyed the engine. Apparently there is one oil passage back there that clogs and causes that lifter to run dry.
Originally Posted by FixItCheap
I have had to replace the idler/tensioner pulley on all 3 I have owned. Never caused a problem except that awful noise. Easy repair though.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM
bim

I have a 2004 Caravan.

The noise I had was the clutch pulley on the alternator. At idle rattles, more when it's cold.

I didn't know that alternators had clutches, replaced the pulley noise gone. $ 50.00

Bim

Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Did you listen to the audio that I recorded in my post within this thread?
That was the pulley sound that I was getting bad. That was my pullye on alt.
I took off the alt. but the pulley was to difficult without the tool and the tool was too expensiive.

I went to an alt. shop they removed the pulley. I brought my own pulley with clutch. I didn't buy the gates pulley. bought the good year one. it too has clutch. been working for quite long time, no problems no more sound.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Justin Roberts
Default 2005 Dodge Caravan

Originally Posted by restless_entity

Thanks
I have the same noise with my 2005 caravan

Quick Reply: 2005 Caravan 3.3 V6 Engine noise