Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

**Help** 1997 Grand Caravan 3.3 Is Sputtering? Details inside post

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Tali4jc777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Help** 1997 Grand Caravan 3.3 Is Sputtering? Details inside post

Hello !

Basically, last week I was hearing this noise coming from the serpentine belt area. Well everything seemed fine, belt was brand new too.

Well on Thursday I noticed the van start to overheat on the freeway, I didnt allow it to, I put the van on neutral and parked and then turned off. It wasn't all the way hot.

Anyways, called tripple A. It was the water pump, it locked.

I replaced the water pump, the noise stopped from that area and van is running awesome.

Well anyhow, I now notice that after running the van for a good 10 minutes. When I stop at a light, it starts to sputter as if it wants to turn off. If I have the AC On even worse. It only does it after driving for at least 10 minutes.

When I put back in Parking, everything is perfect and normal. However when driving it does this. Even on a freeway going over 60, it does it a little bit at times.

I have no clue what it is? Its switching gears perfectly, and cannot find problem.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE??????? I dont want to get robbed by a mechanic..... Please?????

Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused. It idles fine in park, but runs rough when you shift it into D with foot on the brake and idling? Is that right?

Also, you say it "sputters" at highway speed? Do you mean it misses?

Other than that it runs fine when cold? No check engine lights?
What's the RPM at idle in park and in drive? Give us a little more detail please.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Tali4jc777

Originally Posted by RickMN
I'm confused. It idles fine in park, but runs rough when you shift it into D with foot on the brake and idling? Is that right?

Other than that it runs fine when cold? No check engine lights?
What's the RPM at idle in park and in drive? Give us a little more detail please.

Well yes, its hard enough to where I can feel it on the steering well and it feels scary. It also feels as if when I put the gas pedal, as if it doesnt have the strenght it use to have, like it wants to go but as its going you can feel it... Its only happening when the vehicle is warm though. No check engine lights. No water leaks or anything. Oil is fine and transmission fluid is good too.

THe RPM on park is a little under the 1 and when on park its in the midway the 0-1 and then when it stars to missfire or sputter, it goes very close to the 0 and then back up to the 1 and so forth.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
backcountry

Originally Posted by Tali4jc777

Well yes, its hard enough to where I can feel it on the steering well and it feels scary. It also feels as if when I put the gas pedal, as if it doesnt have the strenght it use to have, like it wants to go but as its going you can feel it... Its only happening when the vehicle is warm though. No check engine lights. No water leaks or anything. Oil is fine and transmission fluid is good too.

THe RPM on park is a little under the 1 and when on park its in the midway the 0-1 and then when it stars to missfire or sputter, it goes very close to the 0 and then back up to the 1 and so forth.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I had the same thing with one of mine. After replacing plugs and wires, same thing, cleaned out the induction system, same thing, put on a new coil pack, runs like a top!
Hope it helps, good luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM
vangonebuy
Rookie

Clean the air intake & throttle body insides.
My 97 did the same thing and stalled when making L turns.
Buy a can of the stuff at Autozone or where ever.
Follow the cans instructions.

Quick Reply: **Help** 1997 Grand Caravan 3.3 Is Sputtering? Details inside post