Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

speedo signal lights and all gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
burrlius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speedo signal lights and all gauges not working

recently all gauges including tach temp and fuel as well as turn signals all quit working checked all fuses i could find no problems any help would be nice

Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. Please disclose your vehicle model and year so that I can move this thread to that correct section,
FF

Old 10-07-2009, 07:46 PM
burrlius
Default 02 grand caravan speedometer, signal lights and all gauges not working

recently on my 2002 grand caravan all the gauges including temp and fuel as well as turn signals quit working checked all fuses i could find no problems any help would be nice

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will move this thread to the Caravan section,
FF

Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 AM
matthewbishop

Originally Posted by burrlius
recently on my 2002 grand caravan all the gauges including temp and fuel as well as turn signals quit working checked all fuses i could find no problems any help would be nice
I just had the same issue with my 02 Grand Caravan. I was attempting to install LED tail lights and blew some fuses. It turns out the HAZARD fuse in the IPM relay box under the hood will be your culprit. Just look at the diagram on the back side of the cover to locate it. I believe it is to the upper left if you are viewing from the drivers fender side. Hope that helps!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The engine start and run? If it doesn't unplug the cluster. I have had many clusters go bad, to here the engine wouldn't start and run. But ck your fuses first.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
thedude78
Default Hazard Fuse was the key

I had this same issue with my 2002 Caravan. I had been troubleshooting this for a long time. All Fuses tested fine with a test light. Kept digging after you guys had mentioned the Hazard fuse. Removed the battery, and flipped the fuse box up. Found the ground wire had corroded and rotted off at teh connector. carfully removed contact from the wire harness connector, and soldered a 3 inch jumper wire on. replaced and connected to the original wire. Guages and signal/hazard lights are now working perfectly. Thanks for your help I had originally thought I would have to disassemble the dash and start from front to back, as I would not have assumed the hazard fuse would control the cluster!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
who905
Smile The Dude is correct !!

Same problem. No gauges, turn signals or flashers were working on my 2001 Caravan. Also the chime was fainter than normal. As per many other forums I pulled the instrument cluster but didn't see any problems. Was about to go to the wrecking yard for a BCM. Then saw The Dude's post above. It was exactly as he said. I removed the battery and flipped up the IPM fuse box under the hood and low and behold the wire going to the HZD fuse was corroded away. I did the fix as the Dude stated and all is well !!! Thank you Dude.

Attached Thumbnails speedo signal lights and all gauges not working-2001-caravan-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM
BGS
Default Same Problem and Solution

Yippee!!! I had the same problem and solution as the dude78 and who905. It is amazing when you flip over the fuse box and find the same wire broken at the connector. It looked exactly as the picture that who95 posted (thanks-it helped).

One tip is to clean the connector with fine sandpaper or a wire brush so that the solder will work better.

I had my gages go before, but that time it was a faulty instrument cluster which was fixed when I swapped one from the wreckers. I had no other electrical problems. This problem was different because all these things did not work (instrument cluster, turn signals, hazard switch, and headlight chimes that go on if headlights are left on when key is taken out of ignition). Thanks everybody. The internet is sure useful sometimes.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:37 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by master tech
The engine start and run? If it doesn't unplug the cluster. I have had many clusters go bad, to here the engine wouldn't start and run. But ck your fuses first.
It's weird when it happens on 4th gen though. I've had to fix solder joints on every 3rd gen I've ever owned, on the cluster board.. Even if it was one cracked joint I just did every joint with good flux core solder and a 25W iron and they lasted forever.. Yet to happen with any of my 4th gens, but I don't rule it out by no means..

EDIT: Everyone I've ever fixed only had cracks on the ribbon cable socket joint(s). But it takes like 20 minutes to desolder all of them then solder with better flux core solder. In addition I also hot glued the socket before desoldering to make sure it never happened again.. Pulling out the board takes 1-2 hours, probably the same with 4th gen.

Basically hot glue the socket, and solder all the ribbon cable socket joints and you'll never have to touch it again, if it's a cracked solder joint..

Last edited by tjnc; 02-20-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: speedo signal lights and all gauges not working