Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Grand Caravan Crank Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 PM
POSCaravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Grand Caravan Crank Sensor Location

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan 3.8 that misses, smokes and barely stays running. Two weeks ago it did the same and had a broken valve spring. I fixed that and it ran great and it started doing it again. I have since checked all the valve springs (all good), compression is good, replaced plugs, plug wires, and coil pack. TPS tested good. My next thing on my list is cam and crank sensors. I had to order the cam sensor so it won't be here until tomorrow.

I have the crank sensor, but can't seem to find where it is located? Anyone have an idea?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

I think you threw alot of parts at a problem. are you getting a code for crank sensor? usually when they go bad they dont run at all. sensor is in the trans bellhousing above the differential. but i'll bet you'll put it in and find that didn't fix it.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:42 AM
POSCaravan

Sorry about the redundant posts. Took me a minute to see you had to change the display options at the bottom to see the most current. Seems that would be the default option. The sensors are cheap so I was going to replace them. Just running out of options. Only thing really left after these 2 sensors would be the PCM. I also have checked the converter to make sure it wasn't plugged up and also the MAP sensor. I haven't been able to pull the codes yet, it won't make it to auto zone, but I am going to see about renting the code reader. I will let you know what fixes it.

Last edited by POSCaravan; 10-23-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
circumventor
Banned

Originally Posted by POSCaravan
Sorry about the redundant posts. Took me a minute to see you had to change the display options at the bottom to see the most current. Seems that would be the default option. The sensors are cheap so I was going to replace them. Just running out of options. Only thing really left after these 2 sensors would be the PCM. I also have checked the converter to make sure it wasn't plugged up and also the MAP sensor. I haven't been able to pull the codes yet, it won't make it to auto zone, but I am going to see about renting the code reader. I will let you know what fixes it.
did yall trying cycling the key 3x to get codes the cluster will give it out to you. i think the problem just guessing might be a broken flex plate but then ther's tons of things it could be. instead od a code reader yall ever look into owning a scanner? them aint to spendy on the internet.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
POSCaravan

So I had the codes scanned at the dealer they said that it has about 10 different fault codes. I am going to see if they can print them out for me. Said it looks like the PCM. Said something to do with the voltage regulator located in PCM causing all sensors to go out at the same time?? Does this make any sense?

Also going to take a look at the flex plate that does sound plausible.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 AM
circumventor
Banned

Originally Posted by POSCaravan
So I had the codes scanned at the dealer they said that it has about 10 different fault codes. I am going to see if they can print them out for me. Said it looks like the PCM. Said something to do with the voltage regulator located in PCM causing all sensors to go out at the same time?? Does this make any sense?

Also going to take a look at the flex plate that does sound plausible.
yall gots a bunch of codes if the scensors were unplugged with the key on or it running so yall prob got a bunch of false codes. yep flex plate causes probs with running jut pull the trans and have a look. and going back to yalls quest, didja ever find and replace the crank sensor like the whole topic started with?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
POSCaravan

Originally Posted by circumventor
yall gots a bunch of codes if the scensors were unplugged with the key on or it running so yall prob got a bunch of false codes. yep flex plate causes probs with running jut pull the trans and have a look. and going back to yalls quest, didja ever find and replace the crank sensor like the whole topic started with?
Yes the crank sensor was replaced. It's more of under the starter on the diff than the bellhousing.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

I'm looking at an 03 van with a 3.8 and the starter is totally on the opposite side of the trans from the crank sensor idk what you mean 'its more of under the starter'?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
POSCaravan

Just got this thing back from the dealer. Had to replace the wiring harness. Said that it had melted some on the transmission.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:52 PM
circumventor
Banned

thats cool yall goter fixed but man you sure wanted to throw parts at ti for somthin that wasnt even a bad part. idk, just not the way i go about fixing stuff

Quick Reply: 2003 Grand Caravan Crank Sensor Location