Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Fluid leaking, not quite sure from where?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 AM
CaliforniaCaravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid leaking, not quite sure from where?

I just bought this 1996 Caravan a few weeks ago. The owner said there were No leaks of any kind, and it was a good deal so I made the mistake of not being as thorough as is prudent.

So yesterday I noticed a small, reddish puddle and decided to look under the van to see where it was coming from. I was able to locate the drips, but I have to honestly say I can't identify Anything in the pictures. From these pictures can any of you guys make a guess as to what I'm dealing with?

I took these pictures from in front of the driver's side tire.

Name:  001-1.jpg
Views: 3843
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 4432
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  005-1.jpg
Views: 2897
Size:  56.0 KB

I would GREATLY appreciate any help on this. We're a family of four (wife & two daughters) and I got this specifically so we'd have something reliable. Did I make a mistake?!

-Garrett

Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Thats a pretty minor leak, judging about the muck built up on the case, looks to have had seepage for a long time. I see drips on the pan bolts too and a gasket between the pan and block. I never use a gasket, they leak more frequently than using RTV as the factory does. maybe have a fluid/filter done and reseal the pan. give that a shot. I also notice some wetness around the output seal for the driver side axle. a new seal may be in order. But from what I see on a 13 year old van, the man that sold you the van isn't trying to hose you over. Infact whose to say that it just didn't start after you took ownership. I sold a K-car to a nut job. I rebuilt the engine and it ran perfect. 2 months later, she was all over me, making threats, having people call pretending to being a lawyer and more vicious things because she claimed the transmission crapped out. The car was towed and impounded because she refused to pay the tow bill and insisted I take car of this problem. First a used car from a private party is and "as-is" sale. 2nd, how could I possibly predict the trans would have failed and who's to say it didn't get beat on. Anyway after a couple months of this, I finally filed a restraining order. About 6 months later, I saw the car forsale at the towing company so I contacted them. Turns out the outer CV joint failed, she never paid the bill so they tow company fixed the problem and put it up for sale. My point is that a car is a mechanical device and things will just fail for unforseen conditions.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
46FD04
Rookie

Hi. I owned a 97 Caravan. I agree with the first poster. It appears to be coming from the left driveaxle. Seems like a mnor leak.

I would have the tranny fluid & filter changed, and add a transmission fluid stop-leak product.

At one time on a Nissan truck, I had a sustantial leak in the rear differential, where the driveshaft comes out. I added a 1/2 litre of power steering stop-leak, and it worked great. The leak stopped, and hasn't leaked in many years.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM
circumventor
Banned

dont never use no stop leak crap. that does bad things in a trans. yall should get it fixed rite just to be sure the bearing aint goin bad causing the sela to leak

Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
CaliforniaCaravan

Thanks for the replies! This really sets my mind at ease. The van only has 115,000 miles on it, but after hearing all of the transmission horror stories, and then finding this leak, I was a little on edge.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

If you are worried about the horrible transmission, why did you still buy it? Around here, when these transmissions start leaking, it's because someone tossed a differential pin thru the case.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
CaliforniaCaravan

I only began hearing about the horror stories after I bought it, noticed the leak, and began investigating possible causes.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

It isn't like these transmissions are new. Since they came out in 1989, they have been a horror story with 100,000+ owners. I'm really surprized there's anyone left not aquanted with this information... especially since sources such as Consumer's Report have had a lot of publicity published on these issues.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 PM
CaliforniaCaravan

Thanks for your initial help. Much appreciated.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 PM
82prospector
Amateur

Something to consider when it comes to smaller leaks, are they worth the cost of repair? Unless they're the precursor for some major failure you'll seldom find a more cost effective "fix" than occasionally adding fluid as needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid leaking, not quite sure from where?