Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Caravan Transmission gear shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
stotulis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 Caravan Transmission gear shift problem

Ok I am new to this forum but have run out of ideas for what is wrong with my van. I had a problem titling this post because I have a wide spectrum of problems.

First problem.

When starting the van it starts right up, but when I put it in Reverse or Drive the gears will not engage for several seconds. It is almost as if there is not enough electric power to shift the gears. If I increase the idle it seems to shift more quickly than if it just sits there and after driving a while it goes away.

Second problem.

Misfires on the first spark plug. Went to Autozone and got the codes, it mentioned faulty o2 sensors as a possibility.

Third problem.

Turn signals work sometimes but most of the time don't, same goes with the rear window vents as well as the radio sometimes has power and sometimes not. In addition the sound system amp appears to kick on and off intermitenly.

Fourth problem.

The parking brake light is always on now and the brake is off. Before it used to come on and off every once in a while, but now is always on.

As I mentioned above they are all different but all seem to revolve around electrical power supply. I am thinking it might be a short in a wire, or a bad relay unit, or anything I guess. That is why I need your help.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you just have lots of problems. The trans shifting issue is usually the pump and convertor. The fluid drains back overnight so you get a shift delay in the morning.
Cylinder 1 misfire can be many things.....plugs, wires, injector, burnt valve in the head.
The combo flasher is known to fail on those so check that for the turn signal issue.
The vent window motors also are known to fail. Peel the panel back and check for power and ground to the motor when actuated.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
As tizzy1 had said, Torque converter drain back is normal because you do not have a one way ck valve the transmission cooler lines.When you start the van,let it idle for about a min. Misfire codes could be any number of problems as stated. combo flashers have been a problem so has the vent windows. But you are having problems with radio and amps. You may want to ck for loose connection around the fuse box and the BCM. On the brake lite,ck the switch on the park brake ratchet. If the tap from the switch stays grounded all the time it will cause the brake lite to stay on.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really? trans shifting problems is usually the pump and converter? (it would be a delay in engagement not shifting) IDK how the converter factors into the shifting of the transmission, and the pump would only be one possible suspective if pressures are low. I fequently find that the LR hydraulic circuit is at fault for a delay in engagement. when you put the trans into drive or reverse, this circuit applies in both positions (rev and 1st gear). A quick diagnosis to prove me wrong as my hypothesis would be to remove the transmission relay prior to starting and see if engagement is still delayed in drive. this would put the trans immediately into 2nd gear thus bypassing LR ciruit. If there is a delay, then drain back is most likely, if no delay, then the obviousl problem would be LR system. In either case, you are looking at transmission removal and overall!

Quick Reply: 1996 Caravan Transmission gear shift problem