Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to tell which side rear whell bearing needs replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell which side rear whell bearing needs replaced?

Forgot the secret.... how to tell which side rear wheel bearing needs replaced, from the sound when turning...

2006 GC...Already had the right rear replaced under a warranty cuz it started making noise like 2 weeks after I bought it used, from a Dodge dealership. So, of course, they only replaced the one that was bad.
Now getting the sound when turning right, (forgot how the sound came up last time)especially like on an entrance ramp. I'm ASSUMING it is the other one now, (after a year)... but is it - "sound when turning right is the left rear wheel bearing" (?)

(I know the sound is from the rear, but can't quite tell which side)

Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Look at the other post about this exact same subject! " replace both at the same time" master tech. I'd be willing to bet the one that doesn't look new would the the culpret?!?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

well....like I said, I know they should both be replaced, but I had the one done for free, and they would only do the bad one under the warranty.

I'm not planning to do this myself, have a friend/mechanic that gives me a great price and wanted to just point him to the correct wheel so he can jump right in and replace it without taking the time to inspect and test both wheels

Wanted to make sure that the same bearing isn't going bad again due to some other problem

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Raise the rear wheels and spin them. and ck for any up and down movement. If one of the bearings have replaced already, look and see how clean it is.THe cleanner one is most likey the new bearing.

Quick Reply: How to tell which side rear whell bearing needs replaced?