Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan SXT Transmission

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 AM
nitchimon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan SXT Transmission

I was wondering if anyone else was having an issue with the Transmission on a 2008 Grand Caravan. The vehicle shifts erratically and also SLAMS into gear, while driving slow in the morning. It slams so hard it feels like the rear end has been torn out of the vehicle.

Dealers can not figure this out.

thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

NEW SOFTWARE HAS BEEN RELEASED FOR 3.8L/4.0L, MANY ADDITIONAL
SYMPTOMS AND IS APPLICABLE TO ALL OF THE 2008 MODEL YEAR.
THE StarSCAN® FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM
THE INTERNET.
StarSCAN® SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 9.03 OR HIGHER.
StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT -OR- StarMOBILE STANDALONE MODE MAY ALSO
BE USED TO PERFORM THE FLASH.
SUBJECT:
Flash: 6 Speed Automatic Transmission Shift Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM).
MODELS:
2008 (RT) Caravan/Town & Country (Includes International Models)
NOTE: This Bulletin applies to models equipped with a 3.8L/4.0L engine & 62TE
automatic transmission (Sales Code EGL/EGQ with DG2).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience transmission shift or performance concerns as follows:
i. During a rapid coast down while braking a bump may be felt just before a stop
ii. 3 - 2 kickdown bump or harshness
iii. 2 - 3 upshift bump or harshness
iv. 4 - 3 - 4 change mind shift bump
v. Improved shift quality/driveability through all gear transactions
NUMBER: 21-017-08 REV. A
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: December 16, 2008
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are
present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further
with this bulletin.
If the above symptom/condition is experienced or can be verified, perform the Repair
Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH9401 StarSCAN® Tool
CH9404D StarSCAN® Vehicle Cable
CH9409 StarSCAN® Documentation Kit
CH9410 StarSCAN® Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.
CH9412 StarSCAN® Software Update Device Kit
TechCONNECT PC or equivalent
REPAIR PROCEDURE - USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Reprogram the PCM with the latest software. Follow the detailed service procedures
available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 8 - Electrical >
Electronic Control Modules - Service Information > Module - Powertrain Control >
Standard Procedures > PCM/ECM Programming - Gas. After PCM reprogramming,
the following must be performed:
a. Clear the Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Counters, found in the StarSCAN® Misc
Function Menu. VLP Clear Counters must be completed on all models with a 62TE
transmission.
b. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in other modules due to reprogramming.
c. Perform the Quick Learn function, found in the StarSCAN® Misc Function Menu.
2. Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Modification Label” and attach it
near the VECI label.
21-017-08 REV. A -2-
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
18-19-06-C8 Module, Engine Controller - Reprogram
(B)
0.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
-3- 21-017-08 REV. A

Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
nitchimon

Thanks for the post.

The shifting problem continues and actually has become worse since the update.

Turns out a dealer NEVER did this although reported this. Went to another dealer.

After various miles and tests and new software.... the hard shifting has become worse.

thanks for the post.

Just as an update:
The vehicle continues to strange shift and jolt the vehicle and the passengers. Dealer says "nothing wrong". Baloney.

Last edited by nitchimon; 03-02-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Trepac

I just purchased an 08 Grand Caravan and I noticed those exact problems listed above. Most noticeably was the 2-3 up shift was really rough and a loud thud at times when coming to a stop.The first time I went to the dealer they said there was no transmission problems and everything seem "normal" to them. Then I found this info, and printed it off. I brought this info to the dealer and said can you do this? 45 Minutes later my van drives like its brand new!! It shifts way smoother into every gear!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM
dudleyteaches
Default Kickdown

I just had my engine replaced (4.0l) on my 08 caravan under an insurance claim from a double gasketed oil change and I've noticed that my transmission isn't kicking down the way it used to. Specifically, if I floor it at 40 mph it will kick down one gear, hesitate a little, and then jump down another. I've noticed this at higher speeds also. It makes the van feel a lot more sluggish than it used to. Is it possibly from something that was done? I initially thought kickdown cable but that's a thing of the past I'm sure. I then thought maybe it's tied to the tps. Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
dudleyteaches
Default Continuing not to kickdown correctly

I'm still having the issue with the transmission not kicking down right since my engine swap. I was asked to bring it back to the dealership that replaced my engine for an oil change at the 1,000 mile mark and I need to bring this up. I'm afraid they'll tell me it's normal or it's ok, but clearly it's not like it was. Could it be slightly low transmission fluid? Could it be related to the tps? Should I have the same tps as before the used engine swap, or did it possibly get changed? It's not throwing any codes but it's not right. Any background info anyone could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The problem maybe in the valve body. I have corrected some shifting problem with a new valve body assy.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM
LukasM

hey all..the fix is simple change ur trans fluid and u will have no problems...reflashes,changing valve bodies does not fix it...i have a 2010 sxt 4.0 at 19k miles i started having same issue checked trans flud and it was dark and burnt same story as with hondas..62te trans is hard on fluid..ever since then i do a pan drop and refill every 10k miles trans works awsome..37k miles on it now..(iam a jaguar certified technician and build race engines also) i know what im talking about..also recommend valvoline atf+4 is factory fill and u wont have to do any adaptations...

Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
gentz
Professional

Wrong!!! if your fluid was dark then the transmission has issues...The 62te is known for having issues with valve bodies...there was a flash released for prior units but will not solve it all. Most of the time a valve body replacement will!..Race cars and these vans are different!!! race cars are driven at high rps under alot of pressure and stress thus wearing the friction disc fast, thats why the fluid gets contaminated fast. These vans are nowhere close to that so the fluid should last quite a while....

Originally Posted by LukasM
hey all..the fix is simple change ur trans fluid and u will have no problems...reflashes,changing valve bodies does not fix it...i have a 2010 sxt 4.0 at 19k miles i started having same issue checked trans flud and it was dark and burnt same story as with hondas..62te trans is hard on fluid..ever since then i do a pan drop and refill every 10k miles trans works awsome..37k miles on it now..(iam a jaguar certified technician and build race engines also) i know what im talking about..also recommend valvoline atf+4 is factory fill and u wont have to do any adaptations...

Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM
LukasM

gentz...i was not comparing this van to a race car but u actually can if u think about it...its a compact six speed witha a very crappy oil cooler that runs really hot and with a heavy vehicle especially when its fully loaded...and if u think about the operation of trans where valve body and torque converter need a certain viscosity to operate at when fluit shears down and viscosity is not there and u let that go for extended periods then valve body will go bad...zf transmissions have same issues where its a life time fill but trans goes bad at 60k-70k and reflashes and adaptation processes dont help...i have customers where they do a flush every 30k and they dont need reflashes transmissions work like new well past 100k..my car is not hot roded but it is driven alot at 80mph for periods of 4hrs and atf+4 is only good for 20k max from what i see...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan SXT Transmission