Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Blend Air Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
DaMack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend Air Door Problem

Hi,

I have a '03 Caravan SE 3.3L which no longer provides heat. I am able to adjust Modes as well as Fan Speed ... however temperature dial does not produce any change in air temperature. I already had the t-stat changed. Heater hoses are hot ... which indicates that the heater core is fine.

I originally thought the actuator was faulty and proceeded to replace it myself. That is when I discovered the problem. The shaft which is attached to the blend door seems to have sheared off...leaving the door in the cold position!

I have found some DIY fixes online which involves cutting the plenum to remove he door. Before I do this ... is there any other way to access the broken blend door without cutting the box?

The heater core is located below it and can be removed without removing the entire A/C housing ... can I access the door from the opening (once the heater core is removed)?

Thanks!!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF. If you want to do the job right, you need to remove the heater box. But first i would have someone hook up a DRB3 and ck for codes and actuate the doors.

Last edited by master tech; 02-23-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
DaMack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks master tech!

I suspected the "best" solution was to replace the heater box. Unfortunately, the dealer quoted me the price of the part woud cost me $329 and the labour to install 7+ hours! Not worth it for me...given the car's currenty value. BTW -- the scantool was able to actuate the motor.
Dodge does not sell the blend door seperately and I would need to buy the entire box.

I was hoping to get some heat for the winter, and might resort to plug in heaters as a stop gap. I was hoping for some creative DIY solutions to my problem. I found a thread on another forum which descirbes nicely a DIY fix, but I am not sure if I can post it here?

It involves cutting the heater box to remove the broken door and fixing the door. I am probably going to go to a local bone yard to find the door intact ... my question is, do all 4th gen caravans with front a/c only and single zone climate control have the same heater box assembly? If so...it helps to widen my search for the elusive part.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Blend Air Door Problem