Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking

it seems that ever since I changed the MAP sensor my 3.0 started smoking but only when it sits for a minute while running then no smoke while driving, but here is whats strange. it has a sulfur type smell to it. would that be the EGR valve any help would be greatly appreciated. thank-you

Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Could be just the valve seals that are leaking and then clears up after it been running.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model year?

Only reference to a sulfur smell I've read is either the catalytic converter is eating itself or the battery is shorted and overheating. In your case I would suspect the cat converter considering you just changed a major component that effects the air/fuel ratio in the MAP sensor. That said, if it's so bad you're smelling sulfur fumes I would expect the SES light is on indicating codes are present. You can cycle the key to read them or head to an Autozone or the like and have them read with a scanner for free.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-30-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
HuffmanFamilyof4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.0 and I just changed the alternator and battery last year do to overcharging (Rotten egg smell) the light did come on and the only code that showed up was a low voltage reading from an O2 Sensor(after the cat)

Quick Reply: Smoking