Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 PM
PT2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change

I have a 2007 Grand Caravan (3.3) and I need to change out the transmission fluid. In my Jeep cherokee I disconnect a transmission fluid cooling line at the radiator (after I drain the pan) and start the engine. I then let the transmission pump the old fluid into a bottle while adding new fluid until the fluid turns clear. This has always worked well for me and I have 293K miles on the Jeep.

Is it possible to do this on the Caravan? Or can I drain the fluid from the pan (and replace the filter) and then drain the torque converter. Will this get all of the old fluid or enough of it out? The reason I ask is because I cannot locate where the lines go into the radiator or which is the return line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Yes you can. But you may have to flush from the transmission instead of the radiator.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by PT2
I have a 2007 Grand Caravan (3.3) and I need to change out the transmission fluid. In my Jeep cherokee I disconnect a transmission fluid cooling line at the radiator (after I drain the pan) and start the engine. I then let the transmission pump the old fluid into a bottle while adding new fluid until the fluid turns clear. This has always worked well for me and I have 293K miles on the Jeep.

Is it possible to do this on the Caravan? Or can I drain the fluid from the pan (and replace the filter) and then drain the torque converter. Will this get all of the old fluid or enough of it out? The reason I ask is because I cannot locate where the lines go into the radiator or which is the return line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Return line is the "front" line or the one closest to the engine. Your method has been used for the Caravan transmissions as well but you won't get ready access from the radiator area as things are pretty closed in there. I haven't used the method myself but have read about it on various Forums. Apppar.com likely has something about the methodology.
My "alternate" considerations / suggestions would be as follows:
- put a drain plug in your transmission pan. They are readily available. Every time you drain you get rid of about 50% of the old fluid. 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25% - so after 4 drains the % of old fluid is getting pretty low.
- changing the filter is beneficial as well. This can be facilitated by using a reusable gasket instead of RTV. They are available. Check with your Dealer or NAPA.
- an inline filter can be used on your return line. They are often part of the package with a remanufactured transmission (Chrysler and Ford come to mind). One such filter is here (http://www.magnefine.com/html/fleets.html) which does magnetic filtration as well. Installation instructions are here (http://www.magnefine.com/html/faq.html).

Old 04-17-2010, 09:19 PM
PT2

Thank you for the information. I plan on replacing the filter as well. I think adding a drain plug to the pan is a great idea. Is it possible to add one to the pan without having to do any welding? I saw where someone else bought another pan and welded a drain plug. I never understood why there are not plugs installed from the factory. What a mess it can be. Also, I was looking at the cooling lines at the transmission today. How do you disconnect them from the transmission? I slid the plastic discs off of the nuts, but could not see how they come off. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Drain Plug: B&M brand seems popular. No welding required. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...78/click07f-20
Try NAPA

Coolant lines at transmission: Mine are rubber hoses retained with hose clamps. Just undo the clamps and pull the hoses off. Plastic discs ... ??????? Don't know about those.

Transmission Filter: Recommend going with Mopar. Beware of "garbage" filters.

Last edited by TJeepman; 04-17-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
PT2

Thanks TJeepman. I ordered the drain plug today. I am planning to do this work this weekend. I still cannot figure out how to remove the transmission cooling lines from the transmission. There are rubber hoses that connect them. I think that I need a special tool to release them, but not sure what it is called.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change