Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to Drain Transmission Fluid? (2002 Caravan SE)

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to Drain Transmission Fluid? (2002 Caravan SE)

I own a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE. I dont have the Owners Manual or a Service Manual unfortunately. I checked out my automatic transmission fluid and found it was low. After adding in some fluid (Canadian Tires / Motomaster brand ATF) i think i may have added too much.

What do i look for underneath the vehicle to drain out some ATF?

And if anyone has a PDF of the Owner's Manual or Service Manual or is looking to sell one let me know

Thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION CHECK
NOTE: Only transmission fluid of the type labeled Mopar ATF+4 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) should be used in this transaxle.

FLUID LEVEL CHECK
The transmission sump has a fluid level indicator (dipstick) to check oil similar to most automatic transmissions. It is located on the left side of the engine. Be sure to wipe all dirt from dipstick handle before removing.

The torque converter fills in both the P Park and N Neutral positions. Place the selector lever in P Park to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. At normal operating temperature 82° C (180° F), the fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region on the oil level indicator (Fluid Level Indicator). The fluid level should be within the COLD region of the dipstick at 27° C (80° F) fluid temperature.

If yo have overfilled the trans, you can suck some fluid out with a pump and the hose that goes with the pump.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 AM
quantass
Professional

From now on i will be paying more attention to what i put into my vehicle.

Again, the ATF fluid looked low to me so i added some Motomaster ATF (Link) -- Dextron II / Dexron III / Mercon. Now with what you said I'm concerned about the "mixture"; the original ATF+4 within the engine + what i put in.

I can remove the excess fluid with a pump as you suggested but with this type of mixture should i explore a complete flush instead?

Your thoughts.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:11 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you choose now would be to drop the tranny pan, change the filter while you at it. install new gasket, pan back on and then fill. after a few km/miles change the fluid out by pump or dropping pan again and it should be to 80+% fresh fluid

Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

How much wrong fluid did yo add?

I would do like Dodge said and drain and refill, you can also add a drain plug to make it easier to change, you can do it yourself or do simier to me
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...rain-plug.html

Old 07-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Eddie Foster
Default to much tranny fluid .the easyest way to get the extra out is the same way you put it

Originally Posted by quantass
I own a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE. I dont have the Owners Manual or a Service Manual unfortunately. I checked out my automatic transmission fluid and found it was low. After adding in some fluid (Canadian Tires / Motomaster brand ATF) i think i may have added too much.

What do i look for underneath the vehicle to drain out some ATF?

And if anyone has a PDF of the Owner's Manual or Service Manual or is looking to sell one let me know

Thanks
you don't take a small fish tank size air line and stick it down the filler tube suck on it tell its 6 inches from your mouth hold your thumb over the end pull the hose out blow it in to a container repeat that tell your done ,,, have fun

Old 07-22-2015, 10:05 PM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why does someone join a forum to post a thread last active FIVE years ago

Old 07-28-2015, 11:24 PM
mirageman
Professional

dates are only important to the original poster who has the active problem at that time. replies to "old" and long forgotten questions can be a godsend to the very same problem experienced by someone else coming here today and tomorrow or years from now. I almost never notice dates and certainly don't care, especially when an important point is made to the topic (not saying his reply was very helpful). these answers, regardless of when made, may very well stop a new topic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Drain Transmission Fluid? (2002 Caravan SE)