Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
jeffbreeden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Sensor?

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan with the 3.8 litre engine and approximately 220k miles. We replaced the transmission with a Dodge OEM remanufactured unit that was installed by the local Dodge dealer. Lately, I have noticed two items which I am not sure are interconnected. When first started, the speedometer ( not tach) will immediately spin around the dial to about 30 to 40 MPH and then return to 0, then the speedometer acts normally. This doesn't happen all the time and only when the vehicle is first started.

The second item is the vehicle will occasionally not go into either reverse or drive when shifted by the transmission selector. When this happens, I either move the selector back into park, then select either drive or park ( whichever one was acting up) and the vehicle shifts normally. I did have the input sensor replaced about 15k ago but not the output sensor. I wonder if one of these two sensors may be the culprit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You maybe loosing battery voltage to the cluster, Which is normal when we do a PDI on new cars/vans and trucks.Ck in the PDC and be sure the IOD fuse is push down all the way.What i would do is take the van back to the dealer and have them scan for codes. Could be a bad ignition switch.

Quick Reply: Transmission Sensor?