Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

grand caravan 2000 speedometer & odo problems

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being you don't have the tools needed to properly diagnose the problem and you have fears of unplugging the wrong thing, you need to have a quality mechanic make your repairs. Just because you have the internet doesn't guarantee that you can fix it yourself. On the internet you can find the proceedures to do heart surgury but would you try to do it on yourself?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
silviucarol

hte huge problem it is the time.
Maybe if I have 3 hours to search under the hood I will find the problem.
On the citroen for ex. because I already know all of these it is not a problem for me, I like to work on my car.
But in this moment I have to pay some time more to my daughters, and I have 3, one 4 yo and the twins wich are 3 mo.
So .... you could imagine what I have, plus my company.
I will buy from Internet the sensors. I preffer to make myself because here, in romania we have some 'strange' people working on american cars.
So I really prefer to make it myself, evidently if I will find enough understanding here on forum. Till now I have no complaints :-)

Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 AM
jrj1950

I had a problem with the tachometer on my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. The tach was pegged on the "wrong side" of the peg and would not go above zero. I learned about the self diagnostic procedure which worked like this on my car.........with the ignition switch off, press and hold the odometer / trip button until a display shows in the odometer reading, then release the button. A series of instrument panel light checks & meter checks will automatically follow with error codes (if any) being displayed in the odometer window. After running this diagnostic, my tach was working again. That may not be your issue but it is easy to try.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 AM
silviucarol

I could change all for 100 euro, but I really want to check that the contacts are ok. That's why I'm expacting the answer from the photos.
I tried already the hint before to wrtie here :-(

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM
sapporo
Banned

the best answer is to get a real scanner that shows data and you will have better chance of answering the problem.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
silviucarol

it doesn't read speed, because this it doesn't read distance, and because this it doesn't change all drive speed.
I wanted to know exactly where it is to check the connection and everything. I think that I found the output sensor, I will check again tomorow before to buy the sensors.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
sapporo
Banned

it's very difficult to say exactly what the problem is without reading the computer. tizzy gave you beautiful line drawings of the transmission which shows the sensor locations if you remove the air cleaner assembly access to the output speed sensor will be easy

Old 06-29-2010, 05:16 AM
silviucarol

thank you sapporo, I found it :-)
But I will test more with the OBD today to be sure if only one sensor it is not working or both of them. I have to check the code as you told very well.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 AM
silviucarol

now, I really want to read the obd, but it is another problem, the OBD don't want to get connected with the car, it cannot read.
The obd reader it is ok, I tested and used it on a lot of cars, it is reading correct, I'm using proscan
But not with my dodge.
I think that my dodge has it's own personality :-)
Please I need help, should I make something else then to connect the obd and switch the key on?

PS. till now I have had the tools for OBD but the laptop was out, that's why I was unable to read the codes

Last edited by silviucarol; 07-02-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM
silviucarol

anybody could help me please?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grand caravan 2000 speedometer & odo problems