Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

grand caravan 2000 speedometer & odo problems

Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you replace any parts on the van? Also does the transmission shifts thru all the gears?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
silviucarol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, it seams to not stick ( it stick from 1st to 2nd and remain there
I didn't replaced any part, it just stoped to show the speed and the number of miles while drivind, it stoped on the miles when the speed was working.
About the obd, it is not working to connect to the laptop. I checked with other cars and the obd from laptop it is just working fine.
THe speed sensors will come next week, but I'm asking now why the obd don't want to work.
Thanks a lot,

Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Okay.sounds like your transmission is going into,what we call limp in mode of fail safe. Replace the input and output turbine speed sensors. The laptop may not work on PCI OBD2 system. thats just a guess.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 PM
sapporo
Banned

i would only replace the sensor that is bad (assuming it is a bad sensor) you cant use OBD data information to read transmission data. the lap top interface will only show what the engine computer knows and not the transmission computer

Old 07-04-2010, 04:37 AM
silviucarol

Yes, I'm just waiting the sensors.
About OBD: ok, I have the connector OBDII, it enter on the OBD socket of the car and connect USB on the laptop
When I plug in the connector on the OBD of the car it just not connect with the software from the laptop even one led from the reader it show the I have power on OBD
It is really strange because the same device it is working on other cars. OBDII it is standard, so normal shoud connect with any car wich comply OBDII standard

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
silviucarol

some ideeas for obd?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OBDII is not standard. there are many different communication systems used. Some software works with some and not with others.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM
sapporo
Banned

PCM's have 2 different sections. OEM and OBDII. all cars are required to use the same protocol for Global OBDII.

however no matter how much you want to access obd, this still isn't going to give you the transmission access information you need! only a quality scanner (not a code reader) will allow access to other computers

Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OBD-II Signal Protocols
There are five signalling protocols currently in use with the OBD-II interface. Any given vehicle will likely only implement one of the protocols. Often it is possible to make an educated guess about the protocol in use based on which pins are present on the J1962 connector:
  • SAE J1850 PWM (pulse-width modulation - 41.6 kB/sec, standard of the Ford Motor Company)
    • pin 2: Bus+
    • pin 10: Bus–
    • High voltage is +5 V
    • Message length is restricted to 12 bytes, including CRC
    • Employs a multi-master arbitration scheme called 'Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Non-Destructive Arbitration' (CSMA/NDA)
  • SAE J1850 VPW (variable pulse width - 10.4/41.6 kB/sec, standard of General Motors)
    • pin 2: Bus+
    • Bus idles low
    • High voltage is +7 V
    • Decision point is +3.5 V
    • Employs CSMA/NDA
  • ISO 9141-2. This protocol has an asynchronous serial data rate of 10.4 kBaud. It is somewhat similar to RS-232, but that the signal levels are different, and that communications happens on a single, bidirectional line without extra handshake signals. ISO 9141-2 is primarily used in Chrysler, European, and Asian vehicles.
    • pin 7: K-line
    • pin 15: L-line (optional)
    • UART signaling (though not RS-232 voltage levels)
    • K-line idles high
    • High voltage is Vbatt
  • ISO 14230 KWP2000 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
    • pin 7: K-line
    • pin 15: L-line (optional)
    • Physical layer identical to ISO 9141-2
    • Data rate 1.2 to 10.4 kBaud
    • Message may contain up to 255 bytes in the data field
  • ISO 15765 CAN (250 kBit/s or 500 kBit/s). The CAN protocol is a popular standard outside of the US automotive industry and is making significant in-roads into the OBD-II market share. By 2008, all vehicles sold in the US will be required to implement CAN, thus eliminating the ambiguity of the existing five signalling protocols.
    • pin 6: CAN High
    • pin 14: CAN Low
All OBDII pinouts use the same connector but different pins are utilized with the exception of pin 4 (battery ground) and pin 16 (battery positive).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grand caravan 2000 speedometer & odo problems