Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan A/C warm on driver side, cold on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 PM
NYRK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan A/C warm on driver side, cold on passenger side

1997 Grand Caravan with dual climate controls and the rear A/C unit.

With the A/C on at idle, the driver side vents all blow warm, hot if the outside temperature is high, while passenger and rear blow cold. At idle or city driving the interior never cools down. Highway speeds the van cools down and all seems fins, however the driver side is still blowing warmer than the others.

I'm certain the pressure in the system is not low. I've had it checked too many times. The blend actuator's work, I've watched them move. I even went so far as removing both and ensuring they are in fact rotating the blend door. They are, I can hear and feel the doors hit against the stops. I've ran the calibration checks using the HVAC control panel numerous times. Passes every time.

I went so far as to tape over the vents on the driver's side, turned the A/C on high and let it idle. It was about 85 degrees out. Normally the van would actually heat up inside under this situation. This time it cooled down! The passenger side and rear got colder and colder just like it was supposed to. I removed the tape from the driver's side, it was blowing warmer air and the interior temperature immediately began to rise.

What could this be!? I've seen this same question asked many times in this forum and other venues with no answers. To me the only thing that could be causing this is heated air is able to mix with the driver's side. But how? Broken blend door? It didn't feel unusual as I was manually rotating it.

Any ideas....please. These humid South Korean summers are horrible.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You could have a broken blend door. Can you remove the actuator and rotate the blend door. It should stop at point.

Last edited by master tech; 07-03-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 07-05-2010, 01:07 AM
NYRK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MT...for the reply and the welcome.

I did take the actuator off and flip the blend door back and forth. It seemed to work normally, hit the stops. When I turned on the fan the suction seemed to close the door firmly against the stop.

The only thing that I can think of is either the blend door is broken, maybe a piece of it is missing inside, or the actuator is not allowing it to seal. There's no adjustment for the actuator though. The gear only goes on the blend door shaft one way and the actuator gear only meshes with the shaft gear one way. No misalignment allowed.

Without any leads I am thinking the only option is going to be take the entire blend unit out and give it a thorough once over. But that seems like a lot of work. I guess I could always tape over the vents as I did to test the system. Should cut down on miles driven since I'm pretty sure my wife will refuse to drive it like that.

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan A/C warm on driver side, cold on passenger side