Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan 4Cyl turns over, but won't start

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that means you have one cam 1 tooth off. recheck all markers. it's really easy for one cam to jump while installing the belt. I recommend that when you put it back togther, you rotate the crank a couple turns buy hand to verify that all the marks line back up.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM
neodymm

uggh, say it isn't so! I don't have time to take it all back apart. I had to re-install the belt a couple of times until the marks were all lined up. When it first came on, the engine idled for nearly 30 minutes without issues and at normal idle speed, it just seems to be low after the engine heats up and is in drive. Does this make a difference?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
sapporo
Banned

no because when the engine is cold, it's running much richer. (could be a vacuum leak but doubtful). just pop off the top cover, remove the #1 plug rotate engine (with wrench on crank pulley) until piston is at TDC and verify the cam marks line up. (having #1 plug out makes it a lot easier to determine the piston is at tdc, I use a screw driver to see it's movement)

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
neodymm

OK, I went back and re-examined the engine area and found the new camshaft sensor had a small bubble of oil on the bottom. So, let's say this new camshaft sensor is leaking oil. Can this be a cause for poor idle? Does this part need to have sealant?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
sapporo
Banned

i doubt it. but what ever you try can't make it worse and if it does, go the other direction.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
neodymm

Ahh, the good old fashioned trick. Yeah, the camshaft sensor seemed like a long shot, but I'm still learning these digital systems. Since you mentioned a vacuum leak, I checked all the vacuum lines and found one is broken that goes into the intake manifold just in front of the coil. I don't know how I missed this before. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Can I use plastic cement or something like that?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
sapporo
Banned

use a mcdonalds straw or equiv.... some black tape.... a chunk of washer hose. etc etc etc

Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
neodymm

Weedeater fuel line did the trick. Thanks for all the help, and hope this helps someone else in the future.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 PM
sapporo
Banned

now you're your wife's going to be po'd cuz the trimming won't get done.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM
raysaenz

Originally Posted by neodymm
Thanks for the help everyone, it turned out the timing belt was missing about 10 teeth in a row and caused all the problems. I replaced it myself yesterday along with the water pump and power steering belt. I have a new symptom though, the engine idle's low and will stall when at a stop sign after it is all warmed up. Since I don't see an idle screw or distributor adjustment screw (can you tell its been a while since I worked on cars..), is there another way to adjust this?
neodymm:
It is possible that the idle/stall issue is related to the Idle Control Valve which may be sitting by the throttle body. Can see if able to spray clean it with carb/throttle body cleaner, not sure of this particular design, and reinstall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan 4Cyl turns over, but won't start