Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Caravan will not accept new key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Fred Hartley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Caravan will not accept new key fob

I have a 2010 SXT. I bought it about 3 weeks ago with 41,000 miles on it. It only had one key fob. I made a visit to my local Dodge dealer to order and new one so I have 2. I was in today and they could not program the new fob. They said the Caravan will not accept it. They said they never ran into this problem before. Now they want me to make an appointment for a electrial analyses to find the problem for 89.00. Has any one here ever ran into this problem? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Montreal300
Professional

I'd try another Fob first. If the 2010 is like other chrysler products there is a limit to how many spare keys can be programmed to work in the same ignition. The limit is 8 keys on the cars, the van I don't know. I think you're in for a dealer trip.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

"Won't Accept It" leaves a lot of relevant information out. Did they say it won't take the WIN PIN number and locks them out? There isn't much diag to be done here if that's the case. They either put the wrong PIN number in, or the WIN module is going to have to be replaced. The key could even be a dudd, but we hardly ever see those...new ones anyway.

One more thing....tell them if they have done the most recent WiTech update, they may want to uninstall it and intall the older version back in for a while. Most dealers probably did it because every time you open the program, the app would try and force you to update it.

We have run into several issues with items disappearing off of the menus With the new version. I ran into one last week where I had to replace a WIN module, and the menu function "WIN Replaced" wasn't even there !! I had to use the previous version of WiTech. If you try and submit a report to the tech people that service that system, you get automated responses that are BS and they close your ticket.... So they may not even know yet.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Fred Hartley

Thank you very much for the info. I think I'll be taking it to another Dodge dealer and try again with the info I have now.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've ran into this situation few time. All it takes is a battery disconnect to reset the car, or Restore Vehicle Config on the canner. and it will go back to normal.
If the problem is if you reached Maximum number of keys, all they have to do is erase all of them and do over.

I've also ran into issue if you have a aftermarket Remote Start system installed. Because it over rides the Security key you are trying to program. You have to disconnect the remote start, program the key, and hook the remote start back up again.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Fred Hartley

I can tell they had the battery disconnected because the time on my radio is wrong. I don't have a remote start on it, factory or aftermarket.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Fred Hartley
I can tell they had the battery disconnected because the time on my radio is wrong. I don't have a remote start on it, factory or aftermarket.
Well, Another thing I've also tried on 1 car is re-install the Software in the WIN module. Even if the software version are the same.

Other wise, I go to my parts counter and tell them to let me try another key, maybe the key they gave me is bad. And sometimes they gave me the wrong key.

Last edited by steak59; 02-14-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TNtech
"Won't Accept It" leaves a lot of relevant information out. Did they say it won't take the WIN PIN number and locks them out? There isn't much diag to be done here if that's the case. They either put the wrong PIN number in, or the WIN module is going to have to be replaced. The key could even be a dudd, but we hardly ever see those...new ones anyway.

One more thing....tell them if they have done the most recent WiTech update, they may want to uninstall it and intall the older version back in for a while. Most dealers probably did it because every time you open the program, the app would try and force you to update it.

We have run into several issues with items disappearing off of the menus With the new version. I ran into one last week where I had to replace a WIN module, and the menu function "WIN Replaced" wasn't even there !! I had to use the previous version of WiTech. If you try and submit a report to the tech people that service that system, you get automated responses that are BS and they close your ticket.... So they may not even know yet.

I think the newest wi-tech update have a tab on the lower right corner that says "alternative procedure", a lot of missing function are hidden there.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by steak59
I think the newest wi-tech update have a tab on the lower right corner that says "alternative procedure", a lot of missing function are hidden there.
The first time we reluctantly installed it, it wasn't there. I did know about that though. We have one updated now again and it DID show up finally. Still waiting a while before we do the rest.

Quick Reply: 2010 Caravan will not accept new key fob