Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Smoke from engine hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM
amdcdm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from engine hood

Hai!
I saw smoke coming form the engine hood this morning in my Grand Caravan (3.8 L) 1997 model. My AC compressor wasnt working for a while. I have not used the AC either. However, when I opened the hood, saw that there is some smoke coming from belt near to the coolent holder (passenger side). The belt was burned a bit and gave the rubbery smell. Towed the vehicle to a mechanic and he said the compressor needs to be changed as it has frozen. Will this be the reason or is it just that the belts are worn out and dosent move well.

Help me posting your view. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I would assume the compressor has siezed. It is on top of the engine, you should be able to grab the clutch and turn it. If the bearing for the pulley crapped out, you should be able to see that with the engine running.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
amdcdm
Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering if by changing this compressor, my AC will start cooling (with the gas and all other stuff being in). What would it cost like?
Will this also affect my clutch system?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Have you ever had a/c work done to the vehicle?? What do you mean by "clutch system"?

Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
amdcdm

No I have not done any work on the AC system.
I read about some compressor clutch and that was what I mentioned.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

i beleive if clutch seized i bet ya got to replace the whole compressor as a unit. that means removal of the refrigerant and then recharge.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the compressor done on my jeep due to the clutch seized up, also had the dryer replace since the system was opened, cost alot due to the cost of parts, total was 750 plus tax, 1year warranty,but yours probably will be a bit higher due to needing a new belt, and I would recommend a new belt tensioner assembly too,

make sure the warranty is not just for parts but for labor too, I had called 7 shops, only one would warranty both parts and labor

Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
amdcdm

Yes, the clutch was frozen and had to replace the whole compressor, replace gas etc. Costed me 285 for the parts and 195 for labor. Joy autos at Diamond Bar (CA) did a good job. I spoke with others who were asking for just double the money.

Yes, he did mention that the fan belt tensioner is getting old, but he said it can wait.
Thank you all for posting your view.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Odds are pretty good that your evaperator is leaking and the low system charge is what caused the compressor to fail. The evaperator is easy to check, you just lower the glove box and remove the large grommet that is in the heater housing that is for the evaperator temp probe. You can look right in at the evaperator and if it's leaking, you'll be able to tell.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
amdcdm

10 days after changing the compressor, my AC blows hot air, went to the same mech and he says everything looks ok, but the acctuator is gone and thats the reason its not working....... he says it will cost 130+ labor. Just can't believe what's happening here. can some one explain me.

Quick Reply: Smoke from engine hood