Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

08 Caravan owners.....come in !

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Jetmeck2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Caravan owners.....come in !

Have a couple of minor issues with our 08 Grand Caravan SXT.

Has the small overhead console I assume because of the sunroof, one of the led pushbutton lights is acting up and working intermittently. How do I remove either the eyeball led fixture or the whole little console ?

Other issue I have read about on here is the rear bumper skuff plate. Looks like you can identify an 08 by the warped skuff plate. Read the TSB.

I wonder if the 09 and 10 redesigned skuff plate will pop into place. It is formed different and looks like it would resist the warping and bowing issues ?

Thanks for any help.
Jet

Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You may need to replace the console assy,because of the led button. The TSB for 2008 is also the same for 2009. There is no TSB for 2010.But there is still time for one.

SUBJECT:
Rear Fascia Bow at Top
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin describes procedures to address a Rear Fascia bulge condition along the top
surface
MODELS:
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before August 11, 2008 (MDH0811XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may have a rear fascia that may exhibit a bulge, bow or bending along the
top surface. The scuff pad and/or support on the fascia may separate due to this bowing.
The technician should inspect the scuff pad and fascia support on the rear fascia and
based on findings, follow the appropriate repair procedure in this Service Bulletin.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the vehicle exhibits the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 05113110AB Scuff Pad, Rear Fascia
1 (AR) NPN Tape, Black double-coated acrylic adhesive -
925 mm (36.4 in.) length x 8 mm (.31 in.)
wide x 1.52 mm (.060 in.) thick strip (such as
3M PT 1500)
1 (AR) NPN Adhesive Promoter or Equivalent (such as:
3M - 4298 Adhesive Promoter)
1 06501916 Retainer
1 (AR) 68048162AA Fascia, Rear - Dodge Without Parksense
[XAA]
1 (AR) 68041471AA Fascia, Rear - Chrysler With Sales Codes
[ML3] and Parksense [XAA]
NUMBER: 23-026-08
GROUP: Body
DATE: August 28, 2008
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68041478AA Fascia, Rear - Chrysler, With Bright Insert
[MCZ] and Parksense [XAA]
1 (AR) 68041480AA Fascia, Rear - Dodge, With Parksense [XAA]
1 (AR) 68048158AA Fascia, Rear - Chrysler, With Sales Code
[ML3] Without Parksense [XAA]
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Open the liftgate.
2. Inspect the scuff pad on the top of the rear fascia. Is scuff pad lifting off fascia?
a. Yes >>> Using a Trim Stick C-4755, remove scuff pad and discard. Scuff pad will
be replaced later in this procedure. Proceed to Step #3.
b. No >>> Proceed to Step #3.
3. Loosen 4 rear fascia retaining screws (Fig. 1)
Fig. 1 REAR FASCIA
1 - 4 RETAINING SCREWS
2 - REAR FASCIA
3 - SCUFF PAD
4. Hold the fascia at the proper level to obtain proper fascia top edge mating lines at tail
light and snug upper bolts only.
23-026-08 -2-
5. Use a protected wooden or plastic handle to apply outward pressure in lower corners
of fascia liftgate opening to reduce bow in top of fascia and tighten lower screw on
both sides with fascia in new position(Fig. 2).
Fig. 2 APPLY OUTWARD PRESSURE AS LOWER BOLTS ARE TIGHTENED
1 - OUTWARD PRESSURE AT LOWER CORNER OF FASCIA LIFTGATE OPENING
2 - SCREW
6. Tighten the 4 screws to 5.5 N·m (49 in.lbs).
7. Does top surface of fascia stay flat or have a gap between fascia and liftgate of 4 mm
or greater?
a. Yes >>> Proceed to Step #9.
b. No >>> Proceed to Step #8.
8. Replace and refinish rear fascia per manufacturers instructions. Refer to the detailed
removal procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service
Info > 13 - Frame And Bumpers > Rear Fascia > Removal.
NOTE: When installing the new fascia, pull the fascia outboard by applying pressure
at outside corners to reduce bow in top of fascia.
9. Was scuff pad removed from fascia for lifting off fascia in Step #2 or for fascia
replacement?
a. Yes >>> Proceed to Step #10.
b. No >>> Proceed to Step #14.
10. Clean the fascia and underside of the new scuff pad where the strip of tape will be
applied. The strip of tape should be located between the forward row of carrots and
the forward edge of the scuff pad (Fig. 3).
-3- 23-026-08
Fig. 3 TAPE LOCATION ON SCUFF PAD
1 - STRIP OF TAPE
2 - FORWARD ROW OF CARROTS
3 - FORWARD EDGE OF SCUFF
11. Wipe cleaned fascia and scuff pad surface with adhesion promoter and allow to dry.
12. Apply a 925 mm (36.4 in.) strip of tape to underside of scuff pad.
13. Install scuff pad to fascia starting at the center and working to the ends. Press firmly
along taped area to ensure wetout.
14. Drill a 6.35 mm (.25 in.) hole thru fascia and plastic fascia support 15 mm forward of
scuff pad at centerline of fascia.
15. Install push pin p/n 06501916 into hole.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Jetmeck2

Read the TSB. Thanks. The 2010 skuff plate are different shaped. I need to know if it will snap into the 08 bumper ?

As far as the overhead console if you could tell me how to get it down I WILL fix it. It is likely a loose connection or solder joint. I have lots of electronics experience, If necessary I could solder in another led.
Any ideas ? Just don't want to damage it ? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Jetmeck2

Nothing like answering your own question. Maybe somebody will benefit. If your 08 or 09 is somehow out of warranty Dodge will not repair the bowing rear bumper skuff plate even though it is a manufacturer defect.

I found out the new design skuff plate from the 2010 model fits perfectly, looks better and along with loosening the two bolts on each end and pushing out hard as you tighten them after removing the old skuff plate. Install the new skuff plate at about 50 bucks and that one is solved.

As far as the overhead console goes I gave up asking Dodge techs and got a plastic pry bar or the like and got my fingers under the edge and yanked. It pops out.

The LEDs are available from Dodge for 117 bucks. Come as a pair. No you don't need to replace them both. Just replace the circuit board which is held in with two small screws unless the plastic swiveling eyeball assembly is damaged, then you will need to MELT looose the assembly
which looks to be glued in. Radio Shack or any electronic supply house does not have just the leds. I found the leds but they were much larger. They are a 4 pin variety.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Caravan owners.....come in !