Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Side of radiator leaking and electric fans not coming on

Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM
royt911
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side of radiator leaking and electric fans not coming on

1998 Grand Caravan SE 3.3 liter automatic. Yesterday I noticed antifreeze leaking under my van. Today I test drove it and temperature increased all the way up to the last mark before the red on my temperature gauge. When I turned off the A/C, the temperature went back down to the middle of the gauge. It is about 87 degrees outside today. When I turned the a/c back on, the temperature went up high again. I am not sure if this is a coinsidence or not. No codes and no check engine light came on.

Here is what I found when I got home. The 2 electric fans never came on even while idling in my driveway with the gauge reading hot. And antifreeze is spraying out of the top side of the radiator near the top hose on the passenger side.

Is there a quick way to test the fans or the supply voltage? And is this radiator repairable? And why would it crack so easily because I didn't have a lot of steam coming out of it and it never went into the red on the gauge?

Last edited by royt911; 08-31-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:06 PM
sapporo
Banned

pressure can cause a weak seam to leak.

a quick way to test the fans for supply voltage is with a voltage tester like a multimeter or test light

Old 08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Radiators are made of plastic, con not be repaired. have the fans actuated with a DRB3 and if they don't come on,then you may have aproblem with either the fan relay or the fan module,or both.Pressure test the cooling system,as sapporo had said to find the coolant leak.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
royt911
Amateur

I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor. The fans still don't come on and it is overheating when the air conditioner is on. Where is the fan relay and fan module located on my vehicle? I didn't see it in the engine fuse box nor under the dash. The fans do come on when I hook them up to the battery directly.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by royt911
I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor. The fans still don't come on and it is overheating when the air conditioner is on. Where is the fan relay and fan module located on my vehicle? I didn't see it in the engine fuse box nor under the dash. The fans do come on when I hook them up to the battery directly.
I had the same problem with my wife's 2000 Grand Caravan. I replaced the radiator, electric fans and electric fan control module. Everything works like from the factory.

The electric fan control module on a 2000 Caravan is under the driver side headlight assembly.

I don't know who thought about putting it over there but i think they thought it was funny or something.

I don't know where is it for your year but can start checking there.

If you put direct current to the fans and they work, the electric fan control module is bad.

You can get the control module from autozone for $39.00.

Good luck!!

Last edited by dakota_raven; 08-31-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
sapporo
Banned

the fan relay issue as been posted so many times, I wonder why it's just not a sticky!!

on gen 3 the relay is behind the air filter assembly attached to the frame rail. it almost looks like it could be an air bag collision sensor.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 PM
royt911
Amateur

Thanks I will check this out in the morning. But what about the location of the fan relay just in case.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:58 AM
sapporo
Banned

Thanks I will check this out in the morning. But what about the location of the fan relay just in case.
I guess my english must be poor. I swore I stated the relay is on the frame behind the air filter assembly and looks like a collision sensor.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM
royt911
Amateur

So the fan relay and the fan module are the same thing? If not, what is the one behind the air filter assembly? And if they are both different, then what I am asking is for the location of the other device. Maybe you meant they are both in this area. Now I found one that a little square box on the frame but am not sure how to unplug it. It has a red tab that slides but I can't disconnect it. How does this work?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

So the fan relay and the fan module are the same thing? If not, what is the one behind the air filter assembly? And if they are both different, then what I am asking is for the location of the other device. Maybe you meant they are both in this area. Now I found one that a little square box on the frame but am not sure how to unplug it. It has a red tab that slides but I can't disconnect it. How does this work?
They are the same. To get it disconnected slide the red tab and pull the plug! You'll have to move it up/down/left/right to get it loose. Remmember it's been there for ever!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side of radiator leaking and electric fans not coming on