Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

recirculation door actuator troubleshooting Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
draexo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recirculation door actuator troubleshooting Caravan

Hello
I just replaced my front blower motor. Everything works great.
However, now the recirculation door actuator is not working. Since it was working prior to the installation of the new blower motor, I am not sure what happened to it. I am pretty sure it is in the same position it was when I took off the housing to access the motor.
It appears to come off a different relay. I used my multimeter to test for a voltage change when the the recirculator switch is pressed, but I do not see one.

My question is this: How do I troubleshoot the recirculation door actuator?
Car is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, SXT.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

OPERATION
The recirculation door actuator is connected to the A/C-heater control through the vehicle electrical system by a dedicated two-wire lead and connector of the HVAC wire harness. The recirculation door actuator can move the recirculation-air door in two directions. When the A/C-heater control pulls the voltage on one side of the motor connection high and the other connection low, the recirculation-air door will move in one direction. When the A/C-heater control reverses the polarity of the voltage to the motor, the recirculation-air door moves in the opposite direction.

When the A/C-heater control makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the recirculation-air door stops and will not move.

The A/C-heater control uses a feedback signal positioning system to monitor the operation and relative position of the recirculation door actuator and the recirculation-air door. The A/C-heater control learns the recirculation-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the recirculation door actuator circuits.

The recirculation door actuator is diagnosed using a DRBIIIŽ scan tool.

The recirculation door actuator cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if found inoperative or damaged.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM
draexo

Originally Posted by master tech
OPERATION

When the A/C-heater control makes the voltage to both connections high or both connections low, the recirculation-air door stops and will not move.

The A/C-heater control uses a feedback signal positioning system to monitor the operation and relative position of the recirculation door actuator and the recirculation-air door. The A/C-heater control learns the recirculation-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the recirculation door actuator circuits.
Ok, so what you are saying is that the feedback signal positioning system has been altered???? Where is this system? Do I need to put the door into the EXACT position it was in when I took the actuator off? (It may have been slightly to the left when I removed it). I did not account for any feedback on the door.

What does this mean in practical terms? Take it to the dealer?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

DESCRIPTION

Illustration Details
Note: The item number that is listed in negative(-) indicates there is no illustration available.
Item Description Part Number Quantity Supersedence Engine Trans Line Body
1 HOUSING,Air Inlet
Includes: Upper Housing, Stud, Washer, Upper Recir Door, Screw and Washer 05073225AA 1 Yes
Includes: Upper Housing, Stud, Washer, Upper Recir Door, Screw and Washer 05073225AB 1 Yes
Includes: Air Inlet Cover, Lower Recirc Door 05083106AA 1 Yes
Includes: Air Inlet Cover, Lower Recirc Door 05073225AB 1 Yes
2 HOUSING,Blower Motor
05019216AC 1 Yes
68021285AA 1 Yes
05166534AA 1 Yes
-3 FILTER KIT,Cabin Air
82205905 1 No
4 DOOR,Filter Access,A/C and Heater Unit,Includes: Vane, Frame
04885463AA 1 No
5 SCREW,Hex Head,M4.8-1.59x19
04734227 60 No
-6 STUD,A/C Heater Housing
04734392 3 No
-7 WASHER,A/C Unit Mounting Stud
06031087 3 Yes
05061426AA 3 Yes
-8 RESISTOR,Blower Motor
04885583AB 1 Yes
68029175AA 1 Yes
9 MOTOR,Blower with Wheel
04885475AC 1 No
10 EVAPORATOR,Air Conditioning,Includes: Insert, Sleeve, Liner and Grommet
05019217AE 1 No
-11 INSERT,Evaporator Tube
05061454AA 1 No
12 HOUSING,Distribution,Includesoors, Gears, Actuators, Covers, Seals
04885487AB 1 Yes
04885487AA 1 Yes
13 ACTUATOR,A/C and Heater
04885465AA 3 No
14 CORE,Heater
05019219AD 1 No
-15 O RING,Heater Core
04885024AC 1 No
16 TUBE,Heater Core
04885520AA 1 No
17 COVER,Heater Core Tubes
04885525AA 1 No
18 STRAP,A/C Unit Mounting
04734226 1 No
-19 WIRING,A/C and HEATER
04885527AA 1 Yes
04885527AB 1 Yes
-20 NOZZLE,Radio Cooling
04734723 1 No
-21 SEAL KIT,A/C And Heater Unit,Includes: Drain Tube Seal, Distribution Outlet Seal, Evap Tube Grommets
05019188AB 1 No 13 53
Ck to see if the door is broken first,Here are the part numbers.Doesn't look like the dash needs to come out.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Caravan HATER!
Default To reset the actuator feedback signals

To perform the recirc control calibration procedure:
a. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 5 seconds.
b. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
c. Simultaneously depress and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the heater-A/C control for at least five seconds.

The manual heater-A/C control Delay Light Emitting Diode (LED) and Recirculation LED, or the Automatic Temperature Control
(ATC) heater-A/C control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.
c. The calibration procedure should take less than three minutes to complete for the manual system, and less than twenty
seconds for the ATC system. When the LED's or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete.
d. If the LED's or graphics continue to flash beyond the time stated above, it indicates that the heater-A/C control system
has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set. Use the DRBIII(R) scan tool and the appropriate
diagnostic information for further diagnosis

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Since you just replace the blower motor,maybe the recir door is broken.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try removing the actuator and seeing if you can move the door by hand. Maybe the door is jammed.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 PM
rjg202
Default Recirculation door actuator problem? Need Advice

I think I have the same problem. Today I am hearing a thumping when the recirculation button is cycled. The thump is the recirculation door actuator at the bottom of the air housing. It feels like it is pushing down from the lower housing like 3-4 times then stops. The button appears to work since I can feel the air flow change.

Should I try to calibrate by pushing the AC and recirc button simultaneously (Manual temp control)? Up above I assume the power button is the AC button.

If I do get an error code can it be cleared or will it error indefinitely (blink as stated above)?

Lastly if I pull the actuator out is it straight forward to put back? I don't want to take it apart and have to wind up disassembling the housing.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: recirculation door actuator troubleshooting Caravan