Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 grand caravan timing adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM
lazyhubby70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 grand caravan timing adjustment

I have a 2000 grand caravan 3.0 V6. about 165k miles. Water pump started leaking so I replaced the pump and timing belt. At first start it sounding bad out of time and some knocking, ran about 5 secs and shut it down, knew something wasnt right. Took back apart and realized that the back timing belt pulley was about 1/3 turn off of mark. Had verified all were in right spot when putting together first time, not sure when it moved. Put back together again and started. seems to be running "in time" but have a knock coming from rear of engine. black smoke from tailpipe. Doesnt get better at higher rpms. It just feels to me like something out of adjustment. Also, seems like it is hard to turn over when you turn the key. Has a slight pause before turning over. Any ideas? sorry if I appear to be rambling I have been under/over/under/over this van for the last day and a half....Thanks in advance for any help.....lazy

Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Did you remove the dist at anytime when you did the water pump?If you need the picture on how the timing should look, send me your email address and i'll send it.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
lazyhubby70

Didn't remove dist. Only took off cap to see location trying to find TDC. Know that the rotor wont line up under the number 1 spot on the cap because of the offset. Lined up the dot on the crank with the mark for it also line up both arrows on the cams with the appropriate lines. Am I missing something. All pics will help. Also is there a possibility of head/engine damage if timing too far off? When it idles it sounds like the normal cold morning startups (lifter noise? that normally goes away) but only louder. I'm still thinking its a timing issue. Also smells gassy like its running rich. Thanks for your help

Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The #1 spot on top of the cap is drastically different spot than the underneath side of the cap. Almost oppsite. Line up your rotor aimed at the engine @ about 2:30 as viewed from front of car.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
lazyhubby70

Got your pic. Thanks. I had the timing marks lined up right. Prob gonna have to take it all back apart and try again. Still curious about possible internal damage. Had a 91 spirit that broke a timing belt and dealership told me there was enough clearance that no damage will take place. Hoping same for my van. Thinking gas smell is unused gas cause a little off on timing. Anyway to manually adjust timing or is it completely computer controlled?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM
lazyhubby70

tntech, thanks. I did that. all looks lined up right. have to be off just a tooth. Just not sure which way. where in tn u located. I'm in east tn. might need your help. lol

Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by lazyhubby70
Got your pic. Thanks. I had the timing marks lined up right. Prob gonna have to take it all back apart and try again. Still curious about possible internal damage. Had a 91 spirit that broke a timing belt and dealership told me there was enough clearance that no damage will take place. Hoping same for my van. Thinking gas smell is unused gas cause a little off on timing. Anyway to manually adjust timing or is it completely computer controlled?
The 3.0 used to have a slot in the dist housing to move a little, but that was gone by 2000. You can't adjust anything now. Was there a problem before you took it apart?

Originally Posted by lazyhubby70
tntech, thanks. I did that. all looks lined up right. have to be off just a tooth. Just not sure which way. where in tn u located. I'm in east tn. might need your help. lol
Nashville. Probably out of range...lol Sounds like you're still a tooth off. Before you start wrapping your timing belt, back the crank sprocket CCW about a half to full tooth. When you have your belt lined up then roll the crank forward to take out slack when you line it up. I hope you can decipher that..lol

Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 AM
lazyhubby70

Thanks. Makes sense tntech. prob be mid week before I can get back to it. The big thing in my mind is the internal clearance. do either of you know if it runs out of time if I am damaging the head/motor. Truly appreciate the time you guys have spent helping me...

Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 PM
lazyhubby70

UPDATE...Finally got it...woohoo...wait...is that smoke from the tailpipe? !@#&%#@% maybe, not done. Seems to idle fine. drove up the road and back seems ok. just seem to have a slight smoke issue. its always smoked a little but this seems worse. Is it possible i did some sort of damage when it ran out of time for a few seconds? smoke is whitish blue. doesnt stink. hoping not head. any ideas out there in dodge world.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You're valve stem seals have hardened. How often do you change your oil?

Last edited by TNtech; 10-10-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 grand caravan timing adjustment