Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Trans Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
ez1913
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Trouble

So we're out on our road trip out west in the Turtle Van, a trip of 2000 miles, one we've taken many times in the 96 Grand Caracruzer.
But this time, the 'ol tranny decides half way is all she can do.
1000 miles from the house, first gear only.

Name:  IMAG0057.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0056.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  81.5 KB

Had the spare trans at home, so we rented a car and drove home to get it and the required tools.
A special thanks to Ben at McDowell Towing for the use of the shed and his floor jack.

The rest of our vacation, though shortened, was uneventfull.

Now, to rebuild the broken one.
EZ1

Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM
sapporo
Banned

there are many things you could do to make that installation a lot easier. I'd remove the extension housing on the passenger side where the cv shaft goes in, then you won't be fighting around the flex plate. I'd leave off the trans mount until you get the engine bolted to the motor.
did you know that the torque converter bolts have one lug off center and there's a trick to line it up so you don't have to guess?
getting the trans back in is really easy if you pull off the hood and use a come-a-long from the rafters to pull it up into place. the bolt that holds the heater tube is a nice center balance point.
are you sure it was stuck in 1st gear? I read that limp in is 2nd gear. did you connect a scanner to see what's up? maybe it's just an electrical problem?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You are doing just fine,But are some tricks to install the trans back. do you have a scissor jack and move the engine towards the radiator and the extension housing will miss the flex plate.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 AM
sapporo
Banned

don't let the motor hang only on the front mount, you'll bust the power steering pump pulley if it angles too much. I'm sorry for suggesting removing the extension housing. MT is the the transmission guru, he'd know better than anyone what the best method is for removal and installation.

Quick Reply: Trans Trouble