Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan code P0302 can't figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
The_Caravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan code P0302 can't figure this out

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 engine. It has around 150k miles and was running perfect until we took it on a trip and all of a sudden it started running terrible. I concluded it was missing a cylinder and of course the CE light confirmed my suspicion. It would seem that there is a problem with #2 cylinder. The scan tool at Autozone pointed to the injector itself, so I replaced the injector and no change.

I pulled the spark plug out and held it against the block while my wife turned the engine over and it was sparking like it should.

I had to get my family home, so I babied it back home on 5 cylinders (about a 100 mile trip) and when I pulled the plug there was ZERO fuel on it. I had a car misfire once but it was the plug not firing and it was covered in gas, not this one.. it was bone dry.

So at this point I'm pretty sure the injector isn't getting a signal from the ECM to fire. A google search revealed this trouble code to be common on these vans, but I couldn't really find a solid solution.

The motor is really hot right now so I'm going to allow it to cool down before I go any further. Any suggestions on where to start? Being that so many have had this code come up for #2 cylinder there's got to be a common issue somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Remove the spark plug and perform a compression test. If you had a P0202 for the injector, but you don't have a injector code. P0302 for misfire code number 2. Also ck the wiring on the rear cylinder head, They sometimes ground out on the head, inspect the wiring too. Post your compression test reading.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
The_Caravan

There were 2 codes, one was misfire in #2 and the other was #2 misfire caused by circuit failure/malfunction injector #2. (both were associated with P0302)

I took the van to the shop where my brother works and this is what we came up with. We tested the circuit a the injector, power on both sides no pulse with a noid light. We traced the wire back to the ECM (pin #17) and tested it the same way, still no pulse. Other injectors pulsing correctly. Continuity check between ECM and injector was good.

So we have concluded that the injector driver for #2 injector is bad. So I need a new ECM it seems. Problem is, not only do I have to purchase a new ECM but then I have to pay the dealer to flash it, this sucks!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
The_Caravan

Any thought on this? Anyone??

Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I'm sorry we suck? You are probably correct and do need a new PCM. Unless you have the SKIM key, the PCM should be plug and play. The only things that need to be programmed are the vin and mileage but it should run without it.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:44 PM
KingsMan
Amateur

Try this link for an ECM:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...991+4294962417

It still needs flashing, but I would say their price is a bunch less than dealer price.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm with tizzy, i work for a dealer too. I suck as well.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 AM
The_Caravan

thanks! Those prices are about the same as Advance Auto.

So, what you're saying is... if I purchase one of these "Pre-Calibrated" ECM's from Advance (it's what they call it) then I should just be able to plug it in and the van will drive normally? Then I could just take it to dodge later to have the mileage and stuff put in? How exactly do they go about getting the mileage? From the old computer? Does this mean my odometer will not function or any of the overhead convenience controls?

I really appreciate all the help gentlemen!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

It may start and run, but the ck engine lite maybe on. Because of the no vin match.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
The_Caravan

Where to begin....

So I called up a place called "SearchParts.com" which is a part of National Parts. They quote me a price, I take my computer in since they are close enough to me, pay the money and they say it'll take a day or two to rebuild my computer for me.

Fast forward to yesterday I get a call saying that it's "undrebuildable" and that I'll have to pay an extra 100 bucks on top of the 200 I already gave them to buy a rebuild-able core.

So to that I say, nah.. I'll take my money back because I'm not paying anymore for another used computer and that I felt the money I spent should have covered a rebuilt computer, especially since right on my receipt it said "rebuild" my computer! And nothing saying I'd have to pay more in the event that it was unrebuildable and nothing saying that it was even possible for it to be unrebuildable!!!

Then they tell me that they'll be sucking 85 bucks out of my refund for the bench test fee. WTF?? I already knew the damn computer was bad, that's why I wanted it rebuilt/replaced!! So it would seem they could just tell everyone their computers aren't rebuildable to try and suck another 100 bucks out or keep 85 bucks from what you paid. Either way, they come out with more while you're left with less!!!

So if anyone else has a bad computer, do not do business with National Parts / Searchparts.com based in Jacksonville FL.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan code P0302 can't figure this out