Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 GC 3.3 L Water pump replace w / pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
caravan4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GC 3.3 L Water pump replace w / pics!

Well this was a much easier job than expected thanks to the info found on this board so I am going to supply some pics in the hopes that others will not be a intimidated by this procedure. Remove hoses as required.

1. Jack up the passenger side front wheel, remove wheel/tire.
2. Remove plastic shroud concealing the serpentine belt(I have special tools for this)
3. Locate and loosen the 3 bolts directly below the air filter box hose pictured below so as to drop the engine a quarter inch or so in order for the water pump to lear the box steel chasis. Do not completely unscrew the bolts and make sure to loosen each a litttle bit at a time to prevent binding.
4. Get a tensioner tool that is thin enough to insert into the belt tensioner without hitting that steel box frame chasis.
5. Remove the three bolts holding the pully on the water pump using the tensioner tool to loosen the belt for each bolt if not using air tools.
6. Once the pully is removed from the pump you will find that the pully will not fall fre from the pump which means you will need to insert your extension and socket through the pulley to get to some of the water pump bolts. Some of the bolts just require you to move the pully over.
7. Once the 5 pump bolts are off the pump and pully should slide down and out of the way.(make sure those engine bolts directly above are loosened.
8. I used vasoline to coat both sides of the new O ring for the new pump which makes the o ring stick to the pump when installing the pump.
9. Put the pulley and pump together then slide them both into place on the engine.(do not bolt the pulley up yet because you must bolt the pump on first then the pully to the pump.)
10.Bolt pump on(tighten these bolts in staggered fashion to delete warping and binding of pump.)
11. Bolt pully on
12. Reinstall serpentine belt
13. Add coolant which will be between 3 and 4 gallons
14. Check for leaks and expect a tiny amount of coolant to come out of the new water pump's weep hole during the initial break in period.
15. Reinstall plastic cover, wheel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71013/1D716A1C153E4A3B97A451B00286F9CB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71013/8CD7440A93114C84926744C3670065F0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71013/9FC0EBBC857D4B68B5D25913BBC2335E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Datajunky ®

I can't view these images.
Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong, or re-post these images for me?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
sfallison

you need to upload the pictures to a server like Photobucket, or one of the others. You can also put them on this forums photo gallery, and link the pictures to your post.

Quick Reply: 2005 GC 3.3 L Water pump replace w / pics!