Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 GC overheating and tranny leak

Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Mrwillmon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 05 GC overheating and tranny leak

Hey guys, I have been searching the forums about my problem but I have not found exactly what I am looking for yet. I have two problems that have just popped up.
I recently purchased a 2005 Grand Caravan sxt with the 3.8l v6. It has 156000 miles on it. Two days ago my wife was driving it and she said the temp suddenly shot up and the temp light came on. She pulled over immediately and let it cool off. She had to add a good bit of fluid to it. She then drove it a very short distance home and it never ran hot again. That afternoon when I got home I filled the fluid up again and noticed it was leaking at the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side so I pulled and replaced the radiator. Once I was done I cranked it up to test it out and after being cranked about 10 minutes in park the temp started to rise again. I have not done anything to make sure the system was free of air bubbles or replaced the thermostat yet. I’m going to do those two things tonight because I was working at night and I have an afternoon off. Any other tips with this problem would be appreciated.
Another reason I have not finished addressing that problem is because while I was looking under the car for fluid leaks I noticed a pretty steady drip from the transmission pan. At first it looked like the pan itself was leaking from 3 of the sides but after reading on here I think it might be the cooling lines or solenoid pack. If I look straight down at the two cooling lines I can see some fluid under them but when I felt the bottom of the line connections I did not see any trace of fluid. Could I have bumped them while installing the new radiator and caused the leak? If so do they need to be replaced or just retightened? From what I can tell the connectors are threaded, not the kind with a quick connect or just hose and clamps.*
Is there any way that the overheating could have caused the leak? It was not an issue prior to the radiator replacement. Thanks in advance for your help.
Jesse

Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Try to tighten the hose clamps and clean off the transmission and recheck. Do you know if the cooling fans are coming on?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Mrwillmon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I actually traced it back to the corner of the transmission control solenoid and just replaced it. I was sure it was my lines but i don't have clamps on my cooling hoses. They have metal and rubber hoses with a fitting on the end that screws in. I changed my thermostat and replaced the TCS and it is running like a champ now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 GC overheating and tranny leak