Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Front Hub/Bearing Assembly Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
hewittrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Hub/Bearing Assembly Replacement

I have limited mechanical skills. I have replaces countless bearings in a traditional hub, but not a unit hub. To save $500, I am going to try to tackle changing the bearing/hub assembly on my wife's 2008 Caravan SXT. Ya with only 40k miles, I can't believe that I have to do this either!!

Does anyone have any tips beyond taking the wheel, brakes, and rotor off? I am not comfortable with the ABS unit and don't really know if she has one. As is often the case with bearings this is a project that I can't put off.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:32 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is the manufacturer date of ur vehicle? there is a recall on front wheel bearing for minivan built from Dec 1, 2007 thru feb 28, 2008
Yes, u have ABS sensor, you have to remove the black plate behind the rotor, and remove the sensor from the bearing first. U need a Allen key and a Knife.

To push the Axle back from the hub, if you have no air tool, simply Jam a Screw driver into the Rotors Vane to prevent wheel from turning as u loosen the Axle nut.
If you have to Hammer the Axle out of the Hub, make sure u put the Nut half way on, and hammer on the nut, it will protect the threads on the axle from hammer impact.

after that, just have to remove the Bolts behind the Hub, and It is hammer time. The only way to get the Hub out is brute force. Just make sure u clean the Hole with Sand paper before installing a new one.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
hewittrd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton for your reply. I checked the VIN and there is no recall so, no luck there. I am going to tackle this project in the morning.
I want to make sure that I understand you perfectly before I take this on. I checked and I can't find a Hayes manual for this model yet.

I am assuming that there is an axle nut holding the axle to the hub. Are you saying that I should loosen the nut to the point where it will protect the threads then hit the axle back towards the transmission?

I feel confident seeing the new part that the whole assembly is pulled into some housing and is held onto the housing with friction and the four bolts. I will have to pry the old one off before I can replace it.

Again, thank you for your knowledge. I hope to post a happy successful reply tomorrow around lunch.

Quick Reply: Front Hub/Bearing Assembly Replacement