Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan whining noise\

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
samtheman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan whining noise\

Has anyone had this problem? 2004 Caravan 3.3....77k ...hearing a whining noise from engine. at times, seems to be coming from the passenger side of engine. can't pinpoint it. Sometimes it whines sometimes it doesn't, most noticible when turning. Vehicle running ok, does not effect performance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 PM
newdriver

check the tensioner bearings or idler bearings

Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
phamby
Default power steering pump

possibly the power steering pump, especially since it is while you are turning. Mine does the same thing, and even more so when it's really cold. Could be an indication that it's going out. Best thing to do now is to make sure there is enough power steering fluid in the pump. Probably no need to replace right now, since some aftermarket pumps do the exact same type of whining.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
YuNVme

iI have a 94 caravan, and during a cold start the alternator will whine for a bit... Also how are the barrings, and tire pressure... and breaks.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
samtheman
Default fixed it

I think I fixed it. a guy on another Dodge/Chrysler forum advised changing the power steering reservoir. I did that and the whining stopped immediately. Tore apart the old reservoir and found a plugged screen, so I am thinking that was the cause. Total cost about $25 and took 45 minutes to replace

Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
weigojmi

Had same problem and adding PS fluid fixed it.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Originally Posted by samtheman
I think I fixed it. a guy on another Dodge/Chrysler forum advised changing the power steering reservoir. I did that and the whining stopped immediately. Tore apart the old reservoir and found a plugged screen, so I am thinking that was the cause. Total cost about $25 and took 45 minutes to replace
I was not looking forward to replacing the power steering pump on the Grand Caravan I own (2004 SXT, 86K miles, 3.8L) because it was having all the symptoms of popping, grinding, whining, even losing steering at low speeds off and on, yet the reservoir is completely full and has never dropped in level. The van had already been updated from the recall, and the Dodge place wanted me to do the $500 TSB fix, which I did not believe would do one darn thing, but the wife wants her van fixed. I have already bought the pump, but after looking under the hood, I quickly saw that it was going to be a MAJOR B*^%$ to replace, so I'm hoping that this will address the issues and I'll post back the results yes or no.

I will replace the drive belt as 86K miles on one belt are enough. Below are two of the links I found that talk about this issue in mucho detail. I am suprised that it is not more discussed more on this forum.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...ew/.f106de4/23

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...Steering+Fluid

Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
circumventor
Banned

i got a prob whith whinning on my rite side too it only shows when the wife is along.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
bg1995redneon
Captain

Well the reservoir at the dealership was $26 + tax and the 3 quarts of ATF-4 pushed the whole total to $55. Damn fluid cost more then the part! I'll let everyone know the results when I am done.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
bg1995redneon
Captain
Default What a major difference!

Well, its official. Pumping out the old fluid and changing the reservoir fixed the problem. Since the car actually has 95600 miles (not the 86k I thought it had), I also replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner, but that may have had only a minor additional effect as I checked it out BEFORE I changed out the belt - FYI.

What I did may sound a little weird, but it worked and was quick and did not make a mess either. Instead of trying to buy hoses to fit over my intake and return lines, all I did was disconnect the return line (the smaller one and easiest to get off BTW). I then used duct tape to seal off the return hose connector on the old reservior. I had pieces of tape within easy grasp and ready for use and quickly put my finger over the return connector to prevent fluid going everywhere. I used a small folded up piece of tape as a plug, then taped the plug in place with more pieces of tape. Crude, but quick and effective. I then put the end of the return line into a plastic milk jug and then had my wife crank it up. I just kept pouring the new fluid into the old reservior until the oil fluid was changed out with the new (took almost two quarts to get there and believe me, you will easily tell the difference between the old and new fluid).

Once the fluid was changed out, I then removed the old reservoir (making sure to disconnect the intake hose only after I had loosened the 10mm rear bolt and removed the two 8mm upper mount bolts. Just use a 6 inch extension on your socket to easily get to the back bolt. I also used the WD-40 trick sprayed around the end to loosen the hose before trying to break it loose as it really is stuck on very very tightly. I turned the reservoir on its side before I took off the intake hose so that it would not leak everywhere.

Then, I put the new reservoir on, bolted it back down, hooked up the two hoses, and filled the reservoir completely to the top. I then cranked the motor and rotated my wheels from stop to stop several times. Man did it scream like a teenage horror film queen until it got most of the air bubbles out! I checked the fluid level, put it to the top of the proper limit, drove it around until the motor got good and hot, parked it, turned the wheels stop to stop several times, topped off the fluid level one more time, and now, I no longer have the god awful moaning groaning whining and grinding noises I did before. I then changed out the belt and tensioner.

I spent $55 for the reservoir and 3 quarts of ATF-4 fluid (have about 1/3 quart left). The new belt and tensioner was another $75 (get the belt tensioner loaner tool - save yourself mucho knuckle busting!!!!!!!!!).

So, for $130 bucks, I did in less then 2 hours what the dealership was going to charge me almost $500 for (the PS TSB fix), and I actually FIXED the problem, not just bandaged it. If you factor in the cost of them replacing the belt too, it would have been in the neighborhood of $700. I did not have to install the new PS pump (which I really did not want to do after seeing where that sucker is and knowing that it was going to be a B*#$^ to get off/on (including pulling the pulley off the old one and pressing it onto the new one). I returned it and got my money back!

Hopefully, if those of you out there have this problem, this will help AND save you money! At least this fix is relatively cheap and easy to try BEFORE handing dealerships mucho greeno! I believe that dealerships know this is a common problem (and a design flaw if you ask me), but also a money maker for them, so they are not going to truly "fix" this until they have 1) sold you the TSB "fix", and 2) sold you a flush and clean job that will only temporarily fix the problem, or worse 3) sell you a new pump and/or rack and pinion unit that you really may not need.

What I REALLY want to know is....where is all the trash/FOD that gums up the filter coming from? When I took my old reservoir and poured out the remaining fluid, many many many bits of black FOD poured out! No wonder the damn filter is clogged! What part of the SEALED SYSTEM is this mess coming from? Is is the lining of the rubber hoses flaking off? If so, then the real flaw is the hoses and should be recalled and replaced. If one person is killed in a wreck due to PS failure and it is found that the filter is clogged due to FOD and that Dodge new this was a common problem and did nothing, they will be sued until they are even deader then they are right now. That is my two cents worth, but Dodge better find out what is going on and fix it before the stuff hits the fan! It is my understanding that this problem continues in the current models, not just the past years....

Quick Reply: Caravan whining noise\