Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
JETwagen
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?

I have a 2010 VW Routan (a.k.a. rebadged Town & Country) and am having some concerns about the sliding door operation. Normally when we pull on the handle outside, the door opens via the power. However, there are times (seems to be when the key is not in the ignition) it does nothing and I have to either use the remote or the the overhead button to open it (mostly noticed on the passenger side.) I had the dealership look at it and they found nothing wrong (they did do an update but nothing has changed) and would just like to verify if there are conditions where the power slide does not opperate or if this is a real problem. FYI, I am aware the driver side will not open at all if the gas cap is open, this is unrelated to that function. TIA

Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

only time the sliders dont work is if the disable switch on the overhead console is in the off position. doors will work off remote but not open on power using handles. check that.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 AM
JETwagen
Amateur

I'm sure the disable switch is not activated but I will check it tomorrow both ways to be 100% sure.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
JETwagen
Amateur

So I ran it through some paces to see when it happens. I found the driver's side works as it is expected to work (don't use that side as often), but the passenger side does not (not even from the button inside except the overhead.) I tested, examined, etc., etc. and I found that the passenger door lock inside is not moving the full motion as the driver side is to unlock the door... off to the dealer to get it fixed. Guess I should've done the testing first before coming on here. I would ask if this is a problem anyone else is having except I think these door cards are unique to the VW (most likely something is binding up and not letting it move.) Thanks anyways.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?