Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Doing a tune-up question on 96 Gr. Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 PM
RonVF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a tune-up question on 96 Gr. Caravan

How much of a job is it doing a tune-up on my 96 Grand Caravan, 3.3 engine?
I have always done my own tune-ups until this vehicle. I have a good asortmant of tools. What I would like to know is if it is a big deal getting to those back plugs and how? and do I need any special tools?
The local dealers have quoted $200 at one location and $350 at another for parts and labor. (Plugs and wires) Are either a good price?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Toecutter
Default RE: Doing a tune-up question on 96 Gr. Caravan

LOL,
I'm about to post on how to get that left rear plug out! I've done it once. On mine (Standard Caravan 3.0Lt) it took approx 40 min to do it.(Just on that plug alone) In between freak outs, theres a bracket just in the way of that one plug. I had to remove some items behind the throttle body so my arm could get further back to get to the plug. but I did it. also a good idea would be to get a pair of spark plug boot pliers so you make sure you've gotten all your new boots on fully. I new the price for that job at a garage would be high but never thought it would be that much. Be lucky some engines you have to drop to even make the plug change. Oh yeah btw, get a lil box to stand on so you can lean over the engine better and get more of you behind the back valve covers.
I'd try to replace that one first. If you get it great! if not do the remaining then ask a mechanic how much for just that one plug.

PS. I would suggest using NGK plugs the best they make.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:48 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

The front three plugs are cake, the rear three are unaccessable from the top. You have to replace them from underneath, it hard to do on a hoist (takes about 20-30 minutes). It should be real fun on the ground. You have to reach over the top of the converter to get to cylinder number 1 and 3. If you don't have a lot of patience, it may be worth it to have someone else replace them for you!

Take care!

Old 07-30-2005, 02:05 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

that is a good price for 200 when you figure parts and labor because the back ones are a pita.

Quick Reply: Doing a tune-up question on 96 Gr. Caravan