Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

SPEEDOMETER Not Moving -- Diagnostic Says...

Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SPEEDOMETER Not Moving -- Diagnostic Says...

I own a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE. The speedometer stop moving yesterday.

I have the service manual and performed a Self Diagnostic by having the car OFF and holding down the trip reset button. The odometer display showed SOF 4.1 an E code: 400.1 then it performed the diagnostic moving all needles, including the speedometer needle, to each calibration point. The speedometer meter performed fine. I also went ahead to get the DTC trouble code by turning the ignition switch ON-OFF, etc. The code was: 168.4.

I looked up 400.1 and 168.4 within the entire service manual but there is no mention of those exact #s. Any clue as to what they are?

And again the speedometer needle moved fine during the diagnostic but when i go to drive the car it remains flat line below 0 km/h. Any ideas on how to go about resolving this problem?

Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Could be the output sensor on the transmission. Is the vans transmission shifting? Or the ck engine lite on?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After performing the self diagnosis the speedometer started working fine again. All is good now. I love the Dodge and these built-in tools. Now i wish my 1991 Mercedes 190E were as user-friendly.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
StuartH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same thing happen to my 2003 GC. Tach and speedometer stuck at zero. With van off, pressing trip odometer switch for several seconds also reset mine and instruments function again. Great advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SPEEDOMETER Not Moving -- Diagnostic Says...