Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Grand Caravan 2002 High mileage

Old 11-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Isa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Grand Caravan 2002 High mileage

Hi,

I just bought a Dodge Sport Caravan 2002 from GM Auto Laramie yesterday. It has 173,000 mileage on it. I bought it worth $2981 (as is). But I really anxious and worry about the transmission. I plan to use it for my road trip soon. I test drive it and it sounds okay, but I think I want to refer to someone really expert to check on it. What should I do now? Really worry with its tranny? How long it will lasts?

Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Take the van to a shop that you trust and leave it with them for a few days, Have them ck all modules for codes. Have the CVI's on the transmission checked and a clutch test performed if they can do it,and service the transmission. And if they can do any flush updates on the modules have those done too.The other things i would look at is the cooling system.......A/C system,drive belts,brakes inspection and the conditions of the tires.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:47 PM
sapporo
Banned

that's too much for that van. I paid $800 for an 03 town and country with the same miles. If you are really worried about the trans, then just have it rebuild and get a warranty. then you can put your fears to rest.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Isa

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Take the van to a shop that you trust and leave it with them for a few days, Have them ck all modules for codes. Have the CVI's on the transmission checked and a clutch test performed if they can do it,and service the transmission. And if they can do any flush updates on the modules have those done too.The other things i would look at is the cooling system.......A/C system,drive belts,brakes inspection and the conditions of the tires.
That would another hundreds I have to spend. But I thing that might be worth it. The car still with the dealer as they replace the cracked windshield (for free). They promised to release they car today or tomorrow. How much the cost if I asked to make those inspection? I asked the dealer, they just make as safety requirement only,not so thorough inspection, otherwise, I have to pay more (the labor).

Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Isa

Originally Posted by sapporo
that's too much for that van. I paid $800 for an 03 town and country with the same miles. If you are really worried about the trans, then just have it rebuild and get a warranty. then you can put your fears to rest.
So, I have to spend another thousand just for rebuilt? Gosh! I am loosing my money! In my area (Laramie, WY) there were too limited options that I have, I have to spend at least $1500 to get new one with labor cost.:-(

Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
sapporo
Banned

you came on here in a panic about your transmission. this is a FREE place for opinions and that's all you can expect is opinions. you'll have to pay to have a professional determine if your transmission fears are real or imaginary. the tools needed to determine the transmissions life cost $3000-$10000. the guy running the equipment needs to get paid, etc. Even still, you're transmission could have a completely clean bill of health now but 3 days later could just blow up. it happens, it's a mechanical device that can unexpectedly fail. if you start out with a completely rebuilt transmission with a warranty, your fears can be subsided as long as you have a valid warranty.

you are already loosing money with buying the vehicle. it all depends on how much you want to spend to appease your anxiety

Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 AM
vitual
Default if it didnt break ?

i paid 2300 for 2002 gc with 11700 miles, a month ago.
in your case "if it did'nt break , dont fix it"
get AAA with long mileage coverage and start your trip, Any car can fail any time even with rebuild transmission under warranty.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 AM
CaravanCaraman

Hello There, just over a year ago I bought a 2002 Dodge GC that had 177k miles on it.. now having experience in fixing cars i knew the typical signs to look for.. but the first thing i had done was research on the common problems that people had with these vans.. which to me were easy fixes in some cases.. and knowing that new engines nowa days will last as long as they are taken care of.. and noticing that the transmission is a common problem in these vehicles that there could be a chance that it has already gone out and it has already been rebuilt.. now i bought my van.. checking to see if it shifts at the right shift points.. and if took a long time to engage and so forth and i took the chance and a year later the only thing i have done was replace the brakes on it so far.. and you typical routine maintenance.. but for insurance purposes i did get an extended warranty with the car.. best money i have spent in a vehicle in a while.. before i had bought this van.. i had two mustangs.. one with 112k miles on it and when a compression check and leak down test was done.. it got better results than what factory had.. and the other had 398k when i sold it.. and the same had very little compression loss.. with i think about 2% max difference between.. and everything still worked and was all original.. so it depends on how well it was taken care of.. and i bet alot of people can agree.. but in my opinion that if your not sure having it checked out by a professional is a good investment.. just to put you mind at ease. although i have had my van a year.. and i paid 2500.. it has already paid for itself..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Grand Caravan 2002 High mileage