Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Water in engine through intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM
AKA009
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in engine through intake

96 Dodge Grand Caravan LE (3.3L)

Night before Thanksgiving I was across the street (2 blocks away) getting groceries.

5 minute downpour started and the dip in the road directly across from the parking lot I left, was flooded with water. It is a convergence point as the drain is built into the road right under it (clogged with fall leaves too).

I hit it crossing the street about 15mph and the vehicle stalled. Im guessing it was no more than two feet of water, not over my knees when I got out to push the van the rest of the way home.

It didn't occur to me at the time that water got into the engine because I didn't realize the air intake was so low on it, near the bumper.

I tried to restart it a couple times and it only made a thunk noise.

Few days later I started working on it which is when I found out water was in it when I took off the soaking wet air filter and saw some water in the throttle body.

Removed spark plugs, fuel relay switch and turned key over and it ejected some water, didn't look like much, maybe around a cup of water.

Changed oil, oil filter, let it sit open for a couple days inside the garage. Put in new plugs and with a lot of attempts at turning it over got it started.

Had to initially give it gas to rev it up for it to stay running and of course a lot of white smoke. Ran it for less than 5 minutes reving it here and there to make sure it would keep running and let it idle.

Turned it off, engine warm, oil barely warm and checked oil and it looks like chocolate.

So I immediately started draining the oil again, comes out very thin and looks just like chocolate milk.

Question I have is did I make it worse running it with all that water in the oil? Didn't think there was still that much in there.

I knew I was going to have to change the oil again. Just not sure If i was suppose to run the vehicle for certain amount of time before doing it.

When I change the oil & filter again this time, how long should I let it run before changing it again?

Any advice or suggestions on how to properly proceed from here?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You may need to change the oil a few more times. I would leave the drain plug out of the pan, and with a dip pan under the engine.See how much more water comes out.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 AM
AKA009

Thank you.

I plan to leave it draining overnight.

This vehicle has 176,000 miles on it, is there anything else I can do to help, such as adding anything to the oil or gas.

Or maybe it wouldn't help this specific issue but might be something I should do to help it run better or prolonge the life of the engine, since I am already changing oil & filter?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM
papaduck
Professional

You could have internal damage. Hydrostatic lock can destroy an engine. It can bend or break a rod, bust a piston, blow the head gasket. Hopefully this did not happen sence it did run afterward, but with the engine running when it injested the water it is very likly that some damage was done. I would check it over very carefully after you get all the water out of the oil.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 AM
AKA009

papaduck,

Thank you for the reply.

Can anyone suggest how I would tell if there is damage to the engine or will it be obvious when I start driving it?

I would think noise or the sound of the engine would be one clue, but I am hearing impaired and wouldn't likely noticed the difference unless it is extremely loud.

Can't imagine how one would tell without tearing it down.

I suppose I would have to have my wife tell me if it sounds bad, see if it leaks anywhere and just go by how it drives.

But will definitely keep everyone updated.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Hessapp
Amateur

Try a compression test on all cylinders and leak down test. That will tell ya if the motor is still good or not!? Its worth a try!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 PM
papaduck
Professional

Do the test as Hessapp has said.

If the test are good and when you start driving the van. Keep a close watch on the oil and coolant levels. Look for water in the oil or oil in the coolant, also if you have bubbles in the radiator could indicate a blown head gasket.

Hope you don't have any damage. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM
AKA009

Long overdue reply.

Van worked great with no apparent damage after changing oil a couple times. It only quit working when transmission gave out a couple years later.

Since I have replaced it with another 96 Dodge Grand Caravan LE, only this one has leather seats and its a 3.8.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Quick Reply: Water in engine through intake