Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need help replacing transmission shift solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I am even more confused. I know that every manufacture loves to mix stuff up in ways that repair manuals dont seem to indicate, so I assume it may be an overdrive tranny as a simple matter of anything is possible. I have no ego here, so I can be wrong & it wont matter, I just want to get the thing fixed. Oreiley's website has 2 options for solenoid, please look at these & give me your thoughts. The first one is cheap. I would love it to be that. Okay, a quick note on what is going on. It shifted fine when I got it, then in the butt-cold of Iowa winter, it starting going back & fourth between 1 & 2 gears, then if I hit a bump it would shift normally until a small bump came around again. I am about to trade my car for this van to a good friend of mine. My car gets aweful mileage so this trade is good for me. I am going to trade her as soon as she gets the part then I will own the van.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ssion+solenoid

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ssion+solenoid

Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
22DODGE22

You don't have an overdrive transmission. 1996 3.0 engine minivans only came with a 3 speed transmission. You do not have any shift solenoids, no solenoid pack, no transmission computer.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
peshewa
Veteran

This is good then. I did go look at the van, and confirmed there is indeed no overdrive on the selector. The lady I am getting this van from from describes her issue like this, and keep in mind a local tranny shop told her it was the solenoid, but not the tranny shop I usually go to. Her description - .I can b driving or just sitting @a stop sign and I can feel it shift rather hard, then it won't shift again after that. I've tried letting off the gas to try to help it shift n it doesn't help. It doesn't do it with any predictability. Only occasionally. My fluid levels are fine. - So, now that I know there is no solenoid pack, and the tranny shop said it needs a new solenoid, what else do you guys think it could be?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM
slg64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 GC solenoid pack

I'm replacing the trans solenoid pack on an 03 GC and have looked it over to see what I'm up against... master tech's step by step above sounds good but I'm wondering if all those will apply to my 03? It doesn't look like the air cleaner, TCM and maybe the input speed sensor have to come out? Definately the cooling lines and radiator overflow... is this model specific?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 PM
slg64

sorry that reply was for another thread....site re-directed me....

Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

sig64

Yes it still applys, you just don't need to remove the air cleaner.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
slg64

I get the input speed sensor....but the TCM isn't in the way....is there another reason it needs to come out...you also mentioned a procedure that needed to be done after the repair was complete...where can I find out more about that?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It doesn't. This is for the early solenoid packs. The only parts you need to removed is the input sensor.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Caravan Man

Question for Maser Tech... after reviewing the information you have provided in this trread, I would like to say they are very clear and seem easy to follow.

I noticed that in this thread, you were giving the step by step instructions for replacing a transmission shift solenoid for a 2000 caravan.

I am wondering if the same steps hold true for a 2005 grand caravan

Also... I have read that a person should not use Dextron ATF in a Dodge transmission.

Any thoughts on that?

Also... I have heard that Lucas Transmission Fix stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and is a great product.

Any thoughts on that?

when I go to buy the parts I need -- should I go ahead and replace the TCM too? I am having some shifting issues... up and down... seems to have lag time and shifts hard.

finally... do I need to know what kind of transmission I have (model number) in order to buy the correct parts (TCM; solenoid pack or shift solenoid; and the Speed Sensors -- i think there are two types, right)?

I have NO idea what kind of tranny I would have in my 2005 Grand caravan.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM
nflybye
Default Needing some more info, please.

Originally Posted by master tech
It doesn't. This is for the early solenoid packs. The only parts you need to removed is the input sensor.
2003 Grand Caravan flex fuel.
I am wondering if I need to do the re-learn after I am done with the replacement. Also, do you know of a good video of the step-by-steps on the trans solenoid? Any help would be great. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Need help replacing transmission shift solenoid