Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Reseting ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by daveswaves
Here is a method that works on our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Start vehicle, put foot on brake and do not remove. Back the van up while turning the steering wheel all the way to the right. Keeping your foot on the brake put the vehicle in drive and pull forward while straightening the wheel. Obviously you will have to ease up on the brake a bit to move forward, just dont take your foot off, the brake lights must be on. Once you are driving straight take your foot off the brake, turn and brake again. Parking lot works well for this, back out of your parking spot, turn the wheel to go straight, go forward. Sounds dumb but it works on ours which has a phantom ABS light with no codes set.

My vote for Post Of The Month right there.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You got my vote.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM
rocketvette95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. The right rear wheel speed sensor was bad. I went to Carquest bought the sensor for about 29.00. Replaced the sensor,as soon as I backed up about 10 feet the ABS lamp went out,it has never been back on. The Shop that you went to might have told you that the bearing was bad,but it might have been the sensor the hole time. Most of the time when a bearing is going bad you hear it,sounds like a tire that is cupped up real bad roaring sound

Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM
athike

I don't know the exact code that was read, other than RR Speed Sensor. I have since replaced, and still have ABS light on. I have taken to two shops that have both said no codes are shown and have cleared the light. In both cases as soon as I start rolling at maybe 5 mph the light comes back on. I'm puzzled. I may have to bite the bullet and take it to the Dodge dealer.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

But first I'll try the hold brake backup sequence. Sounds off the wall but I'll give it a try and post my results.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

How can they reset the light when there are no codes? That sounds a little strange. Sensor input does not register below 5MPH, that's when the speed sensor is throwing a fault. It sounds like those shops have a scan tool issue and can't read it.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 AM
athike

Both shops that read the code were Express Oil Change, w/ the repair facilities. The first guy fiddled with the scanner for a few minutes, he was puzzled too that the light was on but the scanner indicated no codes. I told him I had replaced the RR Speed Sensor. His thoughs were it had to be cleared by the scan tool. He was able to clear it, I had no ABS light until I rolled through the parking lot, at maybe 5 mph, then I get the tone/ding and ABS light comes on.
The second guy, at a different shop is basically the same story.

That's why I'll probably take it to the Dodge dealer, I don't have an independent shop that I'm comfortable with the expertise level for a quirky ABS code.

Any ideas?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good call. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go somewhere with people that have a clue.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you only change rr sensor? hub unit is the same?
perhaps problem lies in the hub?

if the lighsts on there IS a code, question is can it be read?
im guessing the scanners at the places youve beeen dont have the ability to read ABS codes

Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Drew Raso
Default hi

my abs light come on in my 2000 dodge caravan what could be wrong with it

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drew Raso
my abs light come on in my 2000 dodge caravan what could be wrong with it
There is a fault in the system and it needs to be scanned to figure out where to start looking.

Quick Reply: Reseting ABS light