Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

dodge caravan starter??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
mcmicken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge caravan starter??

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan V6. When I go to crank it over it makes one click like the starter is trying to turn over but it doesnt. If I turn the ignition off & on a bunch of times it will start. I am assuming it is the starter but I want to make sure before I take it out. Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
scotter5
Veteran

hi. the only way that i have made certain that it is a starter, but, it's not to techical was: get under car, hit it with a hammer several times. it would then start, i then new it was a starter. i did this on two different cars. i put a new starter in and then it worked.

sorry, not too technical, but troubleshooted this way.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't hit the starter with a hammer, you don't have a stuck Bendix on a GM car.

Do this: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
scotter5
Veteran

But you can tap the selonoid on top of the starter with a hammer,right?

I never knew that dodge was a GM product. I thought it was simply Chrysler.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
22DODGE22

Banging on a nipendenso starter, with a hammer, accomplishes nothing. If you read the directions in the link, they show how the contacts wear and if you see how that starter works, the hammer trick won't have any value. Banging on starters to get them to work is what all the GM Chevy guys had to do on their Camaro's and Nova's to get them started.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:08 AM
scotter5
Veteran

Hi

You said tapping on the selonoid with a hammer absolutely has "no value" in assisting the starter to work when stuck on the road with a nippon denso starter. You referred me to a cite in your thread to explain. However the cite has the following quote within it, and the author of the article is speaking about chrysler products.

" try tapping on the starter solenoid with a hammer or screwdriver handle while someone in the vehicle turns the key to the Start position. The tapping can help the solenoid make contact and send current to the starter motor."

Can you help reconcile this? Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
22DODGE22

Instead of being argumentative, why don't you put your efforts in how the person can actually fix their starter instead of beating it with a hammer?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Tapping the starter when it has failed and you need to get the car or van running to drive it to the shop. Means it has value, to get the van running by any means. Or i could just have the car or van towed by tow truck driver, and by the way. He or She will hit the starter, just to let you know the starter has a dead spot and you need to have it replaced. Now that i said my peace i don't want to see anymore arguments.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 PM
22DODGE22

So, you're saying that beating the starter with a hammer is better than replacing the contacts in the start which I tried to provide a link of how to make the repair? Sorry, but I just don't see how the master method is using a hammer instead of fixing the problem.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Its not fixing the problem! It helps to diagnose the problem. Fixing the problem for someone who don't know how or can't spent the time to replace bushes,is to replace the starter assy and inspect the flex plate teeth for any missing or damage teeth. Remember tapping the starter is not a fix!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: dodge caravan starter??