Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Grand Caravan - no pwr to stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM
robb4640
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Grand Caravan - no pwr to stereo...

Anyone help??
Factory stereo was working, i removed it to install a aftermarket stereo and now have no power to new stereo. Hooked old one back up and there is no power to it either now. Checked 10amp fuse under dash, ok, checked fuses under hood, everything seems ok, swapped some with others of same amp to check.
Now along with no power to stereo, the power door locks do not work when the vehicle is shut off but work ok when vehicle is on or with power remote fob. Also headlights used to stay on when vehicle was turned off for few mins, now that doesn;t happen either.
Question is are these tied in to the radio power issue as they seemed to stop working at the same time.
And where else can i check for power to stereo??

Old 12-28-2010, 04:04 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radio fuse is under the hood in the intelligent (what a joke) power module IPM. Fuse #8 10A.

The common component in the headlights and door locks is the body control module. Check fuses #20 (40A), #19 (40A), and #14 (15A) in the IPM

Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
robb4640
Unhappy

Ok got the stereo working today after doing some testing with a multimeter. Part of the problem is the harness adapter wiring doesn't quite match up with what is actually there. I actually had the constant hooked up to the wrong one I think. That said I have discovered the red matches with the red but the there is an orange on the van harness witch is actually the constant maybe and not the yellow or is it?? According to the harness instructions the orange is the dimmer and the yellow is supposed to be the constant. I can never get any reading on the the yellow and intermittent on the orange. There is a pink wire that i have no idea what it does.
Can anyone tell me what the each of the wires does. They go in this order from left to right
Pink/dk br --Red--Orange--yellow & yellow/black-- front speakers.
There is only power on the red and sometimes on the orange. nothing on the yellows.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:45 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

Im assuming you have a base radio and not the premium radio package as wiring diagrams are a little different.
do you have controls on the wheel?

heres the base wiring
http://

Last edited by hemi4spd; 12-29-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
robb4640

This diagram is getting closer to what i have here. We do not have the steering wheel controls. The original unit was the chrysler am/fm cassette player. The diagram above has more speaker wires than mine. The pink wire is all pink with the blue stripe, that is the first wire, then the red is next then the orange and only one orange, then the 2 yellows are next in the same spot of the harness.

Question is what wire is supposed to be the constant and where does it go if it goes from radio to battery area??

Last edited by robb4640; 12-30-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

you probably just dont have the door speakers is my guess for less speaker wires

i looked up a 2000 WD and i think this is more what you described
guess your van was an early 01 build
http://
Hope this is the one u need!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 AM
robb4640

Ok this is the right diagram of what i have. Now the harness for the new stereo only has red for ign power, yellow for constant power and black for ground and the rest are speakers.

So which wires coming from the van harness above match up with the basic ones for the new deck?? Obviously the red will match up with the red and the grounds match up so what do i do with the orange, yellow and pink ones from above.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:02 AM
hemi4spd
All Star

do you have the insrtuctions for the aftermarket radio or isnt it on a sticker on the aftermarket radio?
give me make model # i can find if the radio had provision to work with the lighting system

i can tell you alot of aftermarket radios dont have a provision for dimmer so maybe your not going to be connecting the yellow wires

the pink should go to the yellow constant power of your aftermarket radio(memory)
the red(switched with key) will go to the red ign power wire for radio (this is so the radio only works with the key)
and the orange you may also not be using as your radio my light up just from the red

they do make intsallation kits so the radio plug and the vehicles plugs will work together ya know?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:10 PM
robb4640

I have the harness adapter from Best Kits (www.bestkits.com) then i just have splice the wires leading from to the ones coming off the new stereo. I believe that there is no dimmer so that would eliminate the yellows, the problem is there is no power from that pink wire at any time, i have checked it with the multi-meter. I was getting power from the orange, that is why i thought it was the constant, but i now know from your diagram that it is tied to the dimmer cause if i shut off the lights the radio goes off.
That pink maybe the constant power but there is a problem somewhere now that there is no power there. Where ever that pink wire goes to is the problem, as the power door locks do not work either once the ign key is off so they both must share the same constant power.
Any ideas then on where that pink wire goes??

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
do you have the insrtuctions for the aftermarket radio or isnt it on a sticker on the aftermarket radio?
give me make model # i can find if the radio had provision to work with the lighting system

i can tell you alot of aftermarket radios dont have a provision for dimmer so maybe your not going to be connecting the yellow wires

the pink should go to the yellow constant power of your aftermarket radio(memory)
the red(switched with key) will go to the red ign power wire for radio (this is so the radio only works with the key)
and the orange you may also not be using as your radio my light up just from the red

they do make intsallation kits so the radio plug and the vehicles plugs will work together ya know?

Quick Reply: 2001 Grand Caravan - no pwr to stereo...