Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Grand Caravan coolant leak

Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 PM
kadair32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak 2008 town and country

I had a pressure test done and no evidence of a leak. I finally found the Y above exhaust would leak ocasionally. The heat from exhuast would dry the line. i finally found the y dripping under certain circumstances. It around $15 to repair with aftermarket y from part store with new hose and hose clamps.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kadair32
I had a pressure test done and no evidence of a leak. I finally found the Y above exhaust would leak ocasionally. The heat from exhuast would dry the line. i finally found the y dripping under certain circumstances. It around $15 to repair with aftermarket y from part store with new hose and hose clamps.
Where did you buy the "Y" tube? Any details on the process?

Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 PM
feylito28

Hello to all. I have the same issue with the Y divert-er valve, it is leaking at the top part of that Y. It is so bad that it whistles after a short drive, and it is almost a guarantee that it will over heat if I put her on the highway. She is a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 L fuel flex SE.
So I went to a parts store and they told me that it is a dealer part. So I went to Dodge and found out that the part cost $90.00, cant remember what I paid for the coolant but it all came to $140.00. I feel good bout that. Not looking to go cheap on my family vehicle, plus Kadair32 kinda left us all in a loop $15.00 to get a aftermarket Y connector, no ifnfo on that and nothing on removing those hoses. SMH sorry I tried and they are a bitch to come off. I was told by a tech that you have to cut them and replace the whole thing with the new assembly. I will upload a pic later on tomorrow. Glad I found this place, Alldata installed and ready to go will document for you guys.

Part number: 04677603ak

Last edited by feylito28; 03-20-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 AM
feylito28

Hello to all; Back again to report that I with the help of my brother in-law got it fixed, as you know I bought the part from Dodge, and this is what we did. Instead of changing out the entire tubing assembly that ran under and towards the back of the van, we cut open the rubber connecting points of the (Y) valve, from the old one, and carefully removed its counterpart from the new one. We then connected it all back, placed back all the clamps, and filled her up with the coolant. We over filled a bit but it went down after a few minutes of running her It was very easy to remove once I spliced them from the connecting points, easier than having to lift the van and getting under it to remove the entire assembly. Good luck I hope I have been helpful.

Last edited by feylito28; 03-26-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
JorEl1968
Default Replaced Y Connector with a T

I had the same problem so I replaced the Y connector with a T connector.
I also had to install brand new heater hose and clamps. Does anybody think this could be a problem? I attached a few pictures. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Grand Caravan coolant leak-imag0612.jpg   2008 Grand Caravan coolant leak-imag0615.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM
kanescubs

I bought a $11.00 part and fixed it myself. Its been a year now but I believe it was a Y connector and hoses off a equinox. I had to cut the hose from the new part to make it shorter but it fixed the leak.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Youravtech
Default Dodge caravan with heater hose leak

Originally Posted by jorel1968
i had the same problem so i replaced the y connector with a t connector.
I also had to install brand new heater hose and clamps. Does anybody think this could be a problem? I attached a few pictures. Thanks

Did this take care of the problem? And did the t connector effect how the heat worked. I have a 09 caravan but the same problem. PLEASE ADVISE

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
JorEl1968
Default Replaced Y Connector with a T

Yes, it did solve the problem and the cooling system appears to be working properly, mine is a '10 Gran Caravan. I just went on a 3 hour road trip without any issues. However my concern is that the T connector diverts the water differently than a Y connector. I was hoping that an expert mechanic would reply with a comment.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Originally Posted by feylito28
Hello to all; Back again to report that I with the help of my brother in-law got it fixed, as you know I bought the part from Dodge, and this is what we did. Instead of changing out the entire tubing assembly that ran under and towards the back of the van, we cut open the rubber connecting points of the (Y) valve, from the old one, and carefully removed its counterpart from the new one. We then connected it all back, placed back all the clamps, and filled her up with the coolant. We over filled a bit but it went down after a few minutes of running her It was very easy to remove once I spliced them from the connecting points, easier than having to lift the van and getting under it to remove the entire assembly. Good luck I hope I have been helpful.
This is exactly what I did Almost a year ago. It has held up fine, no more leaking.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
bullheadpond
Rookie

the 2008 caravans also had a problem with the radiator caps being defective or wrong. I smelled antitfeeze when i bought mine new and it ended up being the radiator cap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Grand Caravan coolant leak