Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

air bag: knee and module reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag: knee and module reset

i bought 06 caravan. man i bought it from says the bags were deployed. he said the passenger, and drivers in the steering wheel. did not mention knee for driver. i have 2 quest.s

1) was the knee bag a choice or mandatory in 06. i have no air bags installed, the light is permanently on. i have no money to buy bags?

2) say advertisement saying get module reset for 49.00. will the reset allow for air bag light to come on for a couple of seconds and then go off so i can get it inpected.

i don't need responders giving me stress with their mean or slanderous comments due to my lack of knowledge as one guy did before. just help.

thanks

Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The knee air bag was not standard so you may not have one. If you do not have functioning air bags, I don't believe there is any way to turn the light off. I'm not sure what the add is advertising but I am assuming they are resetting the module after repairs have been made.

Was the van smashed when you bought it or did the guy you bought it from pocket the repair money. Airbag replacement is very expensive.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
musicfeind2001

I will be attempting similair repairs with a 98 Ford Windstar, just waiting for some income to afford the parts for the repair.
My local junkyards quoted me $50 per air bag and said they always have them in stock. This is ALOT cheaper than purchasing them new, airbags are either new or blown, atleast as far as I know.
As Tizzy said, the Air Bag light will stay on until you have functioning air bags. Resetting the trigger modules won't do anything, since there is still no air bag, which is what the light is saying.
Quick question relating to this: Once air bags are deployed, will simply replacing the air bags make them functional, or do the triggers (in the bumper?) need to be replaced as well?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Tizzy answer to your question: the van van had front fender damaged, one head light and hood. the man bought it from had made repairs but no bags. i love this van. i never had a van/car that was only 5 yrs. old. that was my savings, bought 7 mths. ago.

How will i be able to tell if my van had knee bag as part of its standard equipment? $50.00 would be something i could afford for a bag in about a month. although i would need drivers also and potential knee bag.

Once installed, then I can have the module reset, right?
How is sensors in bumper determined to be good?
Dashboard/panel was filled in where it pops out. Started looking at caravans and realized there is no seem on top of dash, it must be stitched/seemed at bottom. But still works w/ airbags, right?

With much sincerity, thank you

Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional

Once the new bags are in you may have to have the module reset.

The sensors in the bumper should be OK if they (or it) was not damaged in the crash.

An undamaged dash will appear seemless until the bags deploy. Yes it works.

If your dash was repaired (and not replaced) to look new again, it may not work properly after you replace the bags if you are in a collision.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
scotter5
Veteran

thanks for responding to scooter5, thats me concerning air bags.

i have seen airbags on ebay and salvage shops, which i would have to purchase from b/ there is not way i can afford something new. somebody posted a price of $50. for a bag as response to my thread.

??does the module have to see a specific serial number or some other information else from the airbag, thus telling the module to turn off the airbag light??

??how can i determine what to look for when trying to purchase a couple of bags?

Once the airbags are in place, I then have to get the module reset Why??

Quick Reply: air bag: knee and module reset