Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan ABS, Emergency Break, and Airbag lights all on

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
thedude78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2002 Caravan ABS, Emergency Break, and Airbag lights all on

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. The van was working fine, then it sat in my yard for about a month unused. When I started it up the speedometer didn't work, and the ABS, Emergency Break, and Airbag lights were all on. The speedometer was fixed by replacing a burned out EATX fuse. But the three lights are still all on.

I have checked all fuses, unplugged the battery and left for a half hour, touched the battery cables together for a few minutes to try and clear and codes...

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior before? I am been racking my brain but am not sure what these three lights might have in common or why they would come on after leaving the van unused for a few weeks.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would poke around the Integrated Power Module (IPM) and Front Control Module (FCM) area. Both control brake/ABS and airbag circuits. Both are infamous for corrosion problems. Try a shake test with power on meaning shake the wire harnesses on the IPM and tap the FCM watching for any changes. Still bad? Disconnect and islolate the negative battery cable then remove the FCM and check for corrosion or damaged contacts. Still broke? Do the same with the IPM connections. Still nothing? Remove the IPM, open it up and look for corrosion on the internal circuit board. A website run by a retired 30+ year ASE certified master mechanic says if you see it there get a new IPM.

IPM - fuse box near battery.
FCM - silver box attached to front of IPM

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-16-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
plicht
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue before with my 2000 Caravan where the ABS and Airbag light were on, and it turned out to be a broken clockspring. You may want to look into that, it was a part Dodge issued a recall on ( atleast for my model year ).

Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clockspring is really a 1996-2000 van issue. Not common on the 01+

I'm finding these 01+ vans have a lot of electrical gremlins seeming to stem from the IPM. I've been working on my neighbors van and she had all kinds of problems starting with headlights doing weird things which was bad connections on the forward module to the IPM which I fixed. She also has a check engine, ABS, and airbag light. With my code reader and wiring diagrams, I determined the ABS was loss of power to the pump. Looking at a wiring diagram, I found the wire off the IPM was corroded. fixed that. Then I found the CEL was a p1491 turns out to be corrosion on the relay control wire..fixed that. The air bag light is due to the passenger side seat belt tensioner. When I get a chance to find one in the JY, that'll be fixed. I

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan ABS, Emergency Break, and Airbag lights all on