Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Grand Caravan Tranny problems

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Nick from Carlisle
The problem may have been the underdrive compounder bearings or worst. The compounder bearing has been a problem with some 2009 and 2010 vans.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Nick from Carlisle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They didn't tell me anything about the defect .

On the documents from them I can see :
Transmission package
10 liters of ATF fluid

and funny the a/c condenser ( wonder why again.)

Old 04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
2010SXT4.0L
Rookie

My tranny is acting up ...losing it's precision and almost a little slippage. 40000kms

Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

what ya been doing to it beating the hell of it?

whats it doing? i hear recall but have not found much to the 2010's 2008 and some 2009 had i forget but some bearing issues inside the tranny

Originally Posted by 2010SXT4.0L
My tranny is acting up ...losing it's precision and almost a little slippage. 40000kms

Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It may have been a transmission cooler, Almost the same thing.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:34 PM
milanz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 4.0 SXT Transmission Whine

Just started to get a loud transmission whine this weekend in my 2010 4.0 SXT with only 25,000 kms. You can hear the gear whine change pitch with each shift in the transmission so it is not tire noise. It shifts OK and just got excellent mileage (32+ mpg) on a trip to Florida. I wonder if the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia killed it? I didn't tow anything and kept to the speed limits but the transmission did like to downshift a lot going up the hills. No warning lights or overheating.
Anyway, have to take it to dealer first thing Monday morning because the sound it's making is like the sound made by straight cut (not helical) gear teeth e.g. reverse in a manual transmission.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM
milanz

After a quick test drive by the dealership mechanic and pulling the fluid pan they ordered a complete new 6-speed transmission assembly under warranty which should be here tomorrow. Dealer mechanic said it would be fine to drive in the meantime but they would replace the complete transmission. He said it was nothing to do with the long drive in the mountains but just a defective gear. Said there was no metal filings or dirt in the transmission. Will keep all posted.

Originally Posted by milanz
Just started to get a loud transmission whine this weekend in my 2010 4.0 SXT with only 25,000 kms. You can hear the gear whine change pitch with each shift in the transmission so it is not tire noise. It shifts OK and just got excellent mileage (32+ mpg) on a trip to Florida. I wonder if the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia killed it? I didn't tow anything and kept to the speed limits but the transmission did like to downshift a lot going up the hills. No warning lights or overheating.
Anyway, have to take it to dealer first thing Monday morning because the sound it's making is like the sound made by straight cut (not helical) gear teeth e.g. reverse in a manual transmission.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 PM
gentz
Professional

That is good milanz, there are issues with some tranny's and that should be the way the dealer pursue's them instead of trying to rebuild a transmission that is still under full warranty... I will post some pics on a thread I had oppened about issues on a 2008...

Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Originally Posted by milanz
After a quick test drive by the dealership mechanic and pulling the fluid pan they ordered a complete new 6-speed transmission assembly under warranty which should be here tomorrow. Dealer mechanic said it would be fine to drive in the meantime but they would replace the complete transmission. He said it was nothing to do with the long drive in the mountains but just a defective gear. Said there was no metal filings or dirt in the transmission. Will keep all posted.

what dealer if i ask is this if you wish to post. mine shifting a bit hard into gears. atleast that what i can relate it too. how yours start? or did it just appear at this instance?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 PM
milanz

Dealer details sent in PM since I don't know if it's allowed to post in public forum.
I think we have different transmission issues though. Mine still shifts perfectly and smoothly, it just makes a whining noise. I think I might have sensed it starting to make the noise 3 days ago and then progressively got louder.
There is a TSB about this issue but I'm not sure if it is exactly the problem I have although it sounds as if it is. The TSB recomends some work done on the transmission but the dealer is going to do a complete replacement. TSB number (according to Alldatadiy) is 21-008-10 dated October 23, 2010 if you are interested.
Also just for interest, according to the warranty work order the cost of the replacement tranmission is $4,850.

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
what dealer if i ask is this if you wish to post. mine shifting a bit hard into gears. atleast that what i can relate it too. how yours start? or did it just appear at this instance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Grand Caravan Tranny problems