Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Grand Caravan Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM
cddz75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Grand Caravan Tranny problems

Hello,
I have a 2010 Grand Caravan 4.0L approx 33k miles

Here is my issue. If you drive the van for a little while and shut it off for less than an hour it will get stuck in second gear. It will be fine in the morning until you shut it off. My wife is an RN and makes house calls, it is shut off for 30-45 mins after traveling to her stop. To "fix" it so it is drivable you have to put it in park shut it down and restart. Sometimes this will fix it for the trip duration, other times not. I also noticed that under light acceleration it will not up shift until it reaches 3200RPM. It does downshift properly when braking.It has been to the dealer for routine maintenance and all fluids where checked and passed. We did not let the dealer know it was doing this because it had only happened twice, I assumed my wife was hitting the gear selector when she was turning. It does not seem to matter if it happens after a turn or straight driving. It has been occurring on a daily basis now. Any info is greatly appreciated, trying to get as much information as possible before I cal the dealer up tomorrow. I really don't want to get shafted and told it is nothing only to have the transmission to go out for good and be stranded somewhere. Thanks in advance,
Chad

Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

well keep me posted i have a 4.0l too with the 6 spd 2010 and mine been ok. although i find that on mine is that i kinda feel the gears go in. not sure if this is abnormal or not cause have not tried another 4.0l to test.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Same thing here !

Hi , I have had the same thing on our 2010 caravan . I've noticed that if you punch the throttle harded a little it won't happen. In the old days it would be the trans govenor now ??? My thoughts Lovvorn

Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I looked for TSB and did not find any. The dealer will need to verify the problem. Be sure you have a transmission tech or the shop foreman road test with you, before you leave the van.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 AM
cddz75

Originally Posted by master tech
I looked for TSB and did not find any. The dealer will need to verify the problem. Be sure you have a transmission tech or the shop foreman road test with you, before you leave the van.
Hopefully it will do it..... She drove the van today with no issues. However, it sat for just over an hour before restarting. I am going to call them first thing.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM
cddz75

Originally Posted by lovvorn
Hi , I have had the same thing on our 2010 caravan . I've noticed that if you punch the throttle harded a little it won't happen. In the old days it would be the trans govenor now ??? My thoughts Lovvorn
I was driving it once when it happend, tried to throttle through it, no joy just hit the rev limiter. Gear selector will not respond(side action) when this is going on. I will be sure to post what is found. I am thinking there is something clogging the pickup..... That had to come from somewhere though, I hope it is not pieces of the torque converter.....

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
cddz75

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
well keep me posted i have a 4.0l too with the 6 spd 2010 and mine been ok. although i find that on mine is that i kinda feel the gears go in. not sure if this is abnormal or not cause have not tried another 4.0l to test.
I would much prefer a harder shift than a slushy one. Makes me shutter to think of the TCC pulsing that fast for a smooth shift.. Ever notice people who are real easy on acceleration will have more transmission problems than the heavy footed ones(like me)

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not at all familiar with the 5th generation vans but I'm thinking it's safe to assume just as previous generations the transmission has a "limp mode" meaning if the TCM detects a transmission fault severe enough that continued operation may cause internal damage, it will limit gears to 1st, 2nd, and reverse. When this happens most of the time the service engine soon light will come on indicating the TCM/PCM has stored a fault code. This code will be the key troubleshooting aid for the mechanics.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
cddz75

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Not at all familiar with the 5th generation vans but I'm thinking it's safe to assume just as previous generations the transmission has a "limp mode" meaning if the TCM detects a transmission fault severe enough that continued operation may cause internal damage, it will limit gears to 1st, 2nd, and reverse. When this happens most of the time the service engine soon light will come on indicating the TCM/PCM has stored a fault code. This code will be the key aid for the mechanics.
When this happens it is in second gear only, no first gear, can't even bump the selector for it to downshift into first. Have not tried reverse. When it happend while i was driving, i did not shut it down to "reset" it. I was trying to get it to trip a code, no joy

Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Mine is cosmetic & you have real trans problems !

Hi , you need to take your van to the dealer a.s.a.p. .Looks like real damage has occored somewhere ???? Take it in before the warranty is gone . I think the dodge tech can make the repairs you need . Good luck ! Lovvorn

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand Caravan Tranny problems