Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Shutter on light acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:44 AM
worldguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shutter on light acceleration?

Back to you all ... the car fixing community. So here's the deal. My 1996 Dodge Caravan 3.0, 3 speed, has steering wheel vibration at idle in gear, much less when in neutral. Under light acceleration is vibrates/shudders until about 35 or 40. If I accelerate more quickly you don't feel any shudder through all three gears.

I have new plugs, wires, alternator, PCM, AIC, crank sensor, distributor, battery .... and I had a headgasket set repair, and new tranny fluid and filter. The car engine is better than ever.

Balljoints? I do hear a nasty clunk at times on the passenger side when I hit just the right bump in the road. It doesn't pull much to either side and makes no noise when I turn.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your definition of a shutter is probably not the same as mine. So that one is tough. have you pinpointed the problem of this shutter as being engine or trans?

Could be a ball joint, or swaybar link or strut, or strut bearing, or engine mount or control arm bushing or crossmember bushings, or ????????

Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The vibration at idle could be the timing belt is off a tooth or a vacuum leak, Vibration while driving could be a bad axle shaft or motor mounts. I would tighten all the bolts and nuts on the lower suspension.

Quick Reply: Shutter on light acceleration?